1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Puppetry

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Fozzie Bear, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Iggy35

Iggy35 Member

Doesn't anyoe on here make foam puppets that is in the UK??
    Do puppet makers even excist in the UK??
    Im beginning to doubt!
    Try doing a search on ebay in the uk, you get a list of string and sock puppets.
    Do it for the us and you get loads of cool things,...DONTCHA BUTCHCAT??? hehehe
    Naah I just really need to find a half decent puppet maker in the uk to swap tips with.

IGGY35
  2. monkeymuppet

monkeymuppet New Member

It's so cool that there are so many puppeteers on this board, but its to be expected. Any teenage puppeteers out there? In Nashville I think I'm the only one. Oh well. It's still fun though.

Adios,
    ~Megan~
  3. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

I've been doing little puppet shows since I was a kid, and I helped my parents with several puppet shows at church during my teens. My most recent puppet experience was just messing around with a friend of mine and his digital camera. We got the toy Ernie and Berts up, and we recreated a few classic bits and then we just started goofing around. It was funny, though, because we actually hooked up an old computer monitor to the digital camera so we would watch what we were doing from behind the couch...the way the Henson people do it! That's the only time I've worked in that form before.

I also agree Kev's idea is great. I may try to bring some of my parent's puppets with, if they can bear to take the chance of it getting lost on the trip. Come to think, that idea makes me nervous too. Hmm. Well, we'll have to work out something. I'd love for us to all be sitting around a restaraunt having a bunch of puppets converse with each other! Till the paddywagons come for us, of course... ;)

I agree that the biggest difficulty is finding other puppeteers. Are there any others out there in the Chicagoland area?
  4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Chicagoland...

TheDude06 (S/N at the old forums) is Matt and he lives around there doing performances with comedy and magic. Maybe he'll post here, soon!

later,
    FOZ

(PS, thanks for liking my idea!)
  5. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Re: theDude

Yeah, I know Matt's up here too. He never responds to my posts though. Either he's extremely busy or I scared him somehow. :rolleyes: Thanks anyway!
  6. Fozzie Bear

Chilly Scaring theDude...

I'm not for sure, but that sequin dress and fish-net stockings could have been what scared him! LOL! JUST KIDDIN!!

I'll talk to him next time he's online. Are you interested in doing a puppet production or something? He's got some major performance work, and I know he's very busy, too.

E-mail me at FozzieMup@aol.com and I'll forward it on to him!

Later on!
    FOZ
  7. Hey Foz!

I be a puppeteer too. I finally got my site completely up, so you can check out some more of my puppets at the www box at the bottom of this thing (nifty). Good stuff.

-"Scary" Larry Wolf
  8. Fozzie Bear

Hiya!!

yeah, I remember Larry!!

Hopefully, we can all get together again at the next MuppetFest! In some other thread I mentioned that the next MC Muppet Fest Family Reunion that we need to all bring our own puppets to meet and greet each other. Sorry that last year's didn't see Muley and Larry meeting. That could have been fun!

I'll check your website out in a bit!

later,
    FOZ
  9. fishbone

fishbone Member

hey?

im in calfornia,i'm a puppeterr ,want to be full time,just started to buildworking on a girl monster,can anybody spare any photo copies of muppet style bodies, rom a book or somethng,i just have the head ,most of my puppets are made out of balls.o yeah ,im working with this guy out here named mike earl,now i just found out he was a puppeteer,but!!!!heres the kicker,i also heard from another puppeteer that this guy was one of the creators of snuffy? i find it a little hard to believe,but if you told me 5mnths ago that i was gunna meet pee-wee herman &david arqett,i would not believe it.
  10. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

CLose enough...not a creator but he did Snuffy for a time after Jerry Nelson (the original performer) retired from the role due to back strain.
  11. John Steffens

John Steffens New Member

Well, I have been into puppets and the Muppets for a long time now.

I really want to get started on making my own puppets and see where I can go with them.

I'm going to get the foam book.
    Also going to start drawing some plans for my future muppets.

I'm curious to know, does anybody have any pics of their creations?
    can someone give any pointers for first timers?

also does this foam book have the plans to make the mouth plates and everything?
    like bodies and the sticks that attach to the arms?

Then what about putting clothes on your character?
    Do you have to start learning a sewing machine?

lastly,
    where's the best place you've found accerories?
    Glasses, eyes...etc
  12. Fozzie Bear

John Steffens--

You can see my character creations at www.midsouthcartoonists.com in the photo gallery. The main one you'll see is Muley the Mule, who is my main character.

If you have specific questions, feel free to email me directly at FozzieMup@aol.com or just ask them here.

Hobby stores carry tons of things to use for accessories; then there's always second hand shops (clothing and glasses etc).

Eyes? I use ping pong balls cut down, felt, whatever I feel works for that character...even plastic spoon ladels. But NEVER those googly-eyes that are plastic. I hate those. Well, I did use it on one puppet cause that's kind of his personality...just nutty.

Knowledge of a sewing machine is a good idea, but you can also make short short short stitches by hand that work as well.

I never owned the foam book. Wish I did. Someone want to make a donation?

There's another whole thread about mouth plates in the forum; arm rods? The new Muley I will be making this week will have 4 arms, 2 with built-in rods in his hands, and another set without rods at all.

Hope that helps, email me if you need to.
    FOZ
  13. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

14. puppetguy

puppetguy New Member

I've been a professional puppeteer for over 12 years and have had a passion for the art since I was 2. Like Matt, I went to the University of Connecticut for some higher education. But, unlike Matt, I went there for my MA. I design and build my puppets as well as write (adapt) the material for all my productions. Most of what I perform are touring shows, but I have also done some television work.

Check out my work at my website: www.allhandsproductions.com
  15. John Steffens

John Steffens New Member

I'm curious about your guys' puppet character design.

Do you find it better to sketch or draw your designs?
    or do you prefer to create as you go along?
  16. Fozzie Bear

I do everything beginning with either an extremely well-rounded idea in my head so I know how it will look from all angles or from sketches now. Originally, the puppet characters all are made based on my cartoon characters, so I have the sketch work already done. I would suggest that you work from sketches in the beginning, break your sketches down into "sections" to see how you'll fit the puppet together, then build build build!!

FOZ
  17. puppetguy

puppetguy New Member

>Do you find it better to sketch or draw your designs?
    >or do you prefer to create as you go along?

I do a bit of both...Everything I build starts as a sketch, but during the building process, sometimes wonderful discoveries can be made that I hadn't thought of when drawing. That's what is great about building your own puppets: you're free to change the whole design during the course of a build if you wish. No rules!
  18. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

We usually sketch out ideas, at least roughly. I am by no means an accomplished artist so my personal drawings tend to be either fairly crude, or computer rendered (I don't do computer renderings very often though). All I try to do is convey a basic idea of what the character should look like. Some of the more talented builders I work with do awesome, full realized conceptual art that nails the character head-on. I admire that and wish I could do it.

On important projects, or when we are building for clients with big budgets, we will use the sketch as the basis for a clay model of the puppet and the puppet builder will work from that.

Sometimes, simply as a creative exercise I will build a puppet with no drawing and just a vague idea of what I want. That's kind of neat, almost like sculpture, where you slowly let the creation reveal itself to you.

It's fun to experiment with different approaches, but it's usually best to work in the way that makes you feel the most comfortable. There is no one right way to build a puppet.

I hope some of these random thoughts are useful!
  19. fishbone

fishbone Member

hmmm...

hey, does anybody 28 or older remember the show hot fudge?or something fudge,bacck in mass it used to come after slim good body,he had some crazy puppets too...