Puppetry

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I've been making puppets for years. My last public performance was of Three Billy Goats Gruff in Mrs. Bruns's 2nd grade class back in the 1970s (I'm way too tired to do the math and come up with an exact date)-- but I do love to build 'em. Lately I've been making heads and getting excited about a new idea and starting the next head before I complete the body. Heads are always rolling around my studio! LOL If I ever manage to finish one of these guys I'll post pictures. I've only recently started working on foam puppets so I'm anxious for a little feedback.

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
hey Foz
You already know I'm in puppetry/puppet making. I think it's great this thread started. We should all keep each other posted on our projects, there may come a time where we can all help each other out!

Scrid

Reaction score
29 years of performing, had a children's show on TV in Bakersfield CA in the 70s, work in the libraries now (going for my Master's), and I do hand/rod and shadows (I was always too clumsy for strings)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Stuff--

Hey Scrid, that's great! I hope one day to be able to say I've done something worth while!

Jivepuppet--I think we should keep things updated on projects, sure! I don't really have much going on right now, and usually don't have much to tell until after the project is ready to begin (had too much stolen really). Currently, I'm scripting a big puppet show for Muley and the Gang and am considering doing it with a puppet stage or doing it where the puppeteers are visible like at Muppet Fest's Live Muppet Show. What do you all think?

MuppetQuilter-Kewl on the puppet building stuff. I am also thinking about doing a series of puppet shows with Muley based on stories like that. I thought about doing some Biblical Scripts where Muley, Buford the Dog, and Roy Duck would be like Shadrack, Meshack, and Abendigo (I know they aren't spelled right), or they narrate a special puppet production about certain aspects of the Bible.

Scott--On the motivation thing, I know EXACTLY what you mean! I can't get ANYBODY to follow thru with anything in Memphis. They all have dreams and desires, will talk about it all, but when given the chance, they freak out, chicken out, and back out. We (my buddy Lin and I, he's Beetlejuice in the pics at the site you looked at and found Muley) went downtown in Memphis one day and filmed Muley doing "Mule on the Street" things, making jokes about stuff going on, and interviewing folks. We even interviewed the mayor of Memphis and Mayor Herenton called himself a MULE!! LOL! It was great. It was amazing to me how well people took to Muley down there that day, and even more amazing how much I can get away with using that puppet. Thanks for the compliment! There's going to be some puppet re-builds going on in my cast soon. Frank N. Stern, a Frankenstein character, is going to lose that name as the puppet (but retain it as a cartoon character) and the puppet will become Frank Steinatra. I've recently become obsessed with Frank Sinatra for some strange reason.

later all!
FOZ

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
Sounds good, if anyone has any live performances, or videos, or anything they want to share we should list them here, for each others reference (and entertainment)
As for myself, I'm working on a show, and a full length film with my puppets, both in preproduction.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Jivepuppet-

Originally posted by Jivepuppet
Sounds good, if anyone has any live performances, or videos, or anything they want to share we should list them here, for each others reference (and entertainment)
As for myself, I'm working on a show, and a full length film with my puppets, both in preproduction.
Lucky. I'm still in the scripting processes for the big things; Muley in the meantime is making Celebrity Appearances...heh heh, and he ain't even a Celeb yet!! I don't understand it, but as long as people are liking it, I ain't gonna fuss!

Was just invited to a big thing downtown next Wednesday night, and I have NO idea where, or what time. One of my friends will tell me though. I have great friends; too bad none of them are puppeteers.

How and where do you find your puppeteers?

Later,
FOZ

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
I kidnap people.

Just kidding.
Usually i get some frieds to help out, and my wife. I've got five people I can count on! I'm very lucky that my closer friends are interested in this stuff. Also if you're a member of Puppeteers of America you get a directory of all the members, many of them are willing to give a hand when they can (no pun intended).

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Jivepuppet--

Lend a hand!! WOCKA WOCKA!!

Hey, I have friends who want to help out, but they're not very coordinated, and there's only one PofA person local, but they don't return calls or mai!! Geez!

Well, maybe I'll find some help soon!
Later on!
FOZ

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
Foz,
I had to train some of my friends, so i understand where you're coming from in the lack of coordination department! POA members can be like that. I'm a member myself and have had a hard time with a few other members. Overall being in POA has been an excelent expirience, and I do recomend it to any puppeteer. Just the store alone is worth it.
Jon

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Gravy Train---

I tried to do some training, it just didn't work so well. I'll figure something out tho!

P of A is a great place to be! I hope to ONE DAY make it to a festival.

One day I'll be able to plan something for Nat'l Day of Puppetry here in Memphis, I hope. Get SOME attention back on puppetry.

Later on!
Foz