Puppets and Pesticides

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
As some of you may know, I have work being displayed at a local gallery. I was recently informed that the building will be tented and treated with pesticides this weekend. I've been told that this stuff doesn't leave a residue or scent, but should I be concerned about my puppets? Do you think Pesticides will have an affect on the stability of the fabric, adhesive, etc?

Help! I only have until tomorrow to make a decision about picking up my puppets before they gas the place! :concern: :eek:

Thanks,
-Michele

Ryan

Reaction score
Sorry, I can't help you, but congratulations on the display! I'm having two of mine displayed at a Philadelphia Art College, Tyler, right now. (Purple spotted monster and Lou Boigah...click my link in my signature to view them, in the "Newer Puppets" album.)

Beebers

Reaction score
Are your puppets there now? If so, and if it were I, I'd remove them and return them once the treatment is done and the air has cleared. Skin contact with the puppets could become an issue later on, if they're exposed to that stuff. Doesn't leave a residue? All pesticides do. That's baloney, they're placating people.

:frown: :frown: :frown:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The only "safe" pesticides are organic and not terribly effective. I would take Beebers advice and remove the puppets.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guy, I went ahead and picked them up today and asked her to call me when the gas cleared. :stick_out_tongue:

Beebers

Reaction score
Good. For any pesticide to do its work it requires a heavy particulate which works with gravity, thus falling to the ground and to any objects upon that ground. Its chemistry will also dictate that its particulates adhere to the maximum number of surfaces possible, lungs included. Any particles that do not adhere fall into the soil/floor/ground surface via condensation/rainfall/man-made water action. Never leave puppets or anyone else around this stuff.

:attitude:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
Thanks for your help guy, I went ahead and picked them up today and asked her to call me when the gas cleared. :stick_out_tongue:
Glad to hear you got your puppets to safety. I think thats what I would have done.

Beebers

Reaction score
(In other words, pesticides stick to EVERYTHING - that's what they're made to do. No residue, my eye.)

:frown:

Phantom

Reaction score
You've got residue in your eye? How awful. :big_grin:

Beebers

Reaction score
:big_grin: :big_grin:

lolmao. Ow, Eeeew, get this stuff outta here!

I grew up farming, producing produce, and orcharding, so I know more than I wish I did about these things. I'd rather buy and consume a flawed piece of produce that has not been pesticided than a perfect-looking piece any day. But consumers want "perfect" appearing produce (WHY?) so it's all chemicalized beyond your wildest nightmares to keep the bugs away. Other than organic produce, obviously. If anyone grows their own stuff, garlic is an excellent natural pesticide.

:cool: