PuppetVision: The Movie - A Feature Length Puppetry Documentary

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score

I wanted to share with everybody a project that I've been working on for a long time.

For the past few years I've been traveling to different cities and countries in my spare time, interviewing puppeteers, puppet builders and other people who are really passionate about puppetry. So far I've amassed around 20-30 hours of original footage and I probably have at least another 10 hours of archival material for the film (and more keeps coming in). I'm editing this in to a feature length documentary loosely based on my PuppetVision Blog that's going to explore puppetry as an art form and (hopefully) provide more exposure to a lot of incredibly talented puppeteers and fuel interest in puppetry internationally.

The finished film will be submitted to puppetry, film and animation festivals around the world and it will be released on the web for free under a Creative Commons License.

If you like the teaser please share it on your blog, Facebook, Twitter and anywhere else, thank you!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, there are some amazing puppeteers who appear in the teaser, here's a breakdown of them:

00:39 Yunlin International Puppetry Festival (Taiwan)
00:42 Hebden Bridge Handmade Parade (UK) – footage courtesy of Thingumajig Theatre
00:44 Channel 4 news report by Krishnan Guru-Murthy (U.K.)
00:53 Clay and Paper Theatre (Canada)
00:55 Thang Long Water Puppetry Theatre (Vietnam) – footage courtesy of Cheryl Haettig
00:57 Unraku (Canada)
01:02 Thingumajig Theatre (U.K.)
01:15 Puppeteer training (Canada) – footage courtesy of Unraku
01:18 Unraku (Canada)
01:22 Hsin-Hsing-Ku Puppet Show Troupe (Taiwan)
01:24 Mathieu René (Canada)
01:26 Girovago & Rondella Family Theatre (Italy)
01:34 Huang Shih-Chin (Taiwan)
01:36 Chung Jen-Pi (Taiwan)
01:42 Traditional Wayang Kulit performance (Indonesia)
01:44 Wen Yang Lion Dance Troupe (Singapore)
01:45 Applefun Puppetry (Canada)
01:48 Elise Handelman & Bob Nathanson (U.S.A.)
01:50 Kelly Kirkham (Canada)
01:52 Yunlin International Puppetry Festival (Taiwan)
01:54 “Jasper & Carl” T.V. Pilot (Canada)
01:55 Wen Yang Lion Dance Troupe (Singapore)

...there will be many, many more in the finished film and of course proper interviews and longer clips.

Also, a few people have been asking me about the puppets behind me in the video. They're from my personal collection:

Policeman – Puppet Heap Playthings
Sock Monkey Hand Puppet - RoRo Art
Sock Ninja – Unraku Workshop
Marshall Mountie – Unraku Workshop
Traditional Chinese Hand Puppets – Yenching Chinese Puppet Company

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Brilliant! I can't wait to see the fina l product and I am rather annoyed I'm skint and will be for the next month or so so I can't donate. I'm sure I'm speaking on behalf of a lot of pople here when I say I'm excited about this.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Thanks; even if you're not able to contribute you can still help by sharing this with as many people as possible that's really helpful too!

Specifically, by "liking" the IndieGoGo campaign on Facebook - IndieGoGo.com/puppetvision (there's a Facebook like button on that page) and also liking the video that's embedded above on YouTube.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Long time, no update about this, but I've been making some good progress on this film with the help of some very talented friends and it will be done later (much later) this year.

Here's a scene from the film...hopefully I'll be able to share more soon!

zns

Reaction score
Long time, no update about this, but I've been making some good progress on this film with the help of some very talented friends and it will be done later (much later) this year.

Here's a scene from the film...hopefully I'll be able to share more soon!

Everything looks great. Is there a chance that this film could be released on DVD?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Thanks! There will be a DVD and Blu-ray next year and it will also be available on some streaming video services. I'm hoping to able to share more from the film soon.