1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

'Put Down the Duckie' cameo question

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Princeton, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Princeton Active Member

About halfway through the celebrity version of 'Put Down the Duckie', there's an extreme close-up of a British man and woman who say in extremely harsh and stern tones: "PUT DOWWWWWN THE DUCKAY, YES YOU'VE GOTTTT TO LEAVE THE DUCK 'LONE!". Who are these people? When I was little, I was terrified of them because all the celebrities were clearly having fun and being silly, and then when the man and woman in question are screaming at the camera, I felt drop-kicked out of Sesame Street and into Staunch-WASP Lane.
  2. MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

The woman on the right is actress Jean Marsh, probably best known to folks here as Princess Mombi in Return to Oz from the mid 80s. Not sure who the man is.
  3. gbrobeck Member

Jean Marsh and Gordon Jackson as their characters from the British series "Upstairs, Downstairs," a mainstay of Masterpiece Theatre.
    heralde likes this.
  4. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I wonder what else they did on the show. I know that all/most of the celebrities from the montages appeared after making seperate appearances on the show (I often wonder if there was another Simpsons appearance besides Monster in the Mirror, but either way they'd have to be animated as opposed to being filmed at the time they're on the set). I don't recall seeing those two in any other segments, though I'd assume they used that set.

Let's see, what other Put Down the Duckie cameos are there that haven't been found by fans? I don't know of Jeremy Iron's appearance, and not sure what else that trumpet player did. I don't know what else Rhea Pearlman did at the time, though I know she did make another guest appearance (though I assume it came a few seasons later). Though in the case of Pearlman, I get the feeling she might have just been there because her husband, Danny DeVito, was making an appearance. And I know Inzalk Pearlman made other appearances in other seasons, but am unsure what he did in 1987 (he looks a little chubbier here than in that early 1980s segment with the little girl).
  5. heralde Well-Known Member

Thanks! I had a feeling they were on Masterpiece Theater but I wasn't positive. :)
  6. Princeton Active Member

Thanks for identifying these actors, but did anyone else feel that they were out-of-place in this song?