Put Down the Duckie DVD

Oliver

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this and if so, can you please offer your opinions on this compilation disc?

From what I have read online, it apparently features classic skits from the mid to late 80's including a Grover The Waiter and Monsterpiece Theatre segment. I'm really intersted to hear what you guys think of this and whether it is a video that would appeal more to younger kids of today's generation or older fans of classic SS like us? Also, would anyone be able to tell me whether there are any animated sequences on this disc and whether the classic clips are shown unedited in full?

Thanks a lot!

- Oliver.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
well im not sure where did you hear about this. if you give me a general of where you heard of this i can run some test and make some conctions, and see what this is if it is what i think it is my Friend. Me and you need to head to the video store fast and buy it. well that what i hope. but let me know where ya found this at and ill look into it for ya. it will be a team research kinda thing cool. :big_grin:

Oliver

Reaction score
Starring: Sesame Street
Encoding: Region 1
55+ Minutes
Animated, Color, Closed-captioned
DVD Bonuses

"Gladys Knight's pip of a rendition of the Sesame Street theme song gets this star-studded collection of the show's most memorable musical numbers off on a happy note. The highlight, though, is "Put Down the Duckie," a joyous sing-and-squeak-along that features cameos by, among others, John Candy, Celia Cruz, Danny DeVito, Pee Wee Herman, Jeremy Irons, Ladysmith Black Mombazo, Wynton Marsalis, Itzhak Perlman, Pete Seeger, and Paul Simon. Other celebrity visitors to Sesame Street include Martina Navratilova, Ralph Nader, and Phil Donahue. More savory selections: Barbara Walters is charmingly off-key on "People in Your Neighborhood"; her old 20/20 co-host Hugh Downs investigates "cookiegate"; Patti LaBelle spells out a sultry "I Miss My X"; James Taylor and a chorus of kids sing the sweetly silly "Jelly Man Kelly"; and Seiji Ozawa conducts an all-animal orchestra. As Donahue points out, Sesame Streethas long been a place "where people, animals, birds, and monsters all live in perfect harmony." And that's what makes revisiting these sunny, pre-Elmo era chestnuts such a pleasure.

Ernie wants to learn to play the saxophone, but will he ever learn? He does when he puts down the rubber ducky and gets help from the celebrities who come to Sesame Street to help him. The video also chronicles some other magical, musical moments from Sesame Street's history. By the end, Ernie is on his way to playing a mean saxophone.

This is probably one of the best Sesame Street specials on video. Great songs which range from Bob doing a round of "People in Your neighborhood" and Patty LaBelle's "How I Miss My Ex" to "Sing Your Synonyms" (a Sesame Street remake of sorts of the classic song "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off") and the title song. Great clips include "Monsterpiece Theatre" and a segment with Grover as the bumbling waiter.

Even though kids of today might like it, I think probably those who watched the show when Jim Henson was alive (R.I.P.) would enjoy it more. Shoot, even my MOM likes it. The reasons I think younger kids wouldn't be as interested in it is because, since this video is from the 80's, Zoe and Baby Bear aren't on there, and Elmo only shows up during "Sing Your Synonyms". Also, it's fun for the adults to watch because of how the celebrities who on it like Barbara Walters, Rhea Perlman, Danny DeVito, and Jeremy Irons (to name a few) have changed over the years."

gbrobeck

Reaction score
This is the 1988 PBS pledge week special originally entitled simply "Sesame Street Special". I wouldn't recommend it for 2-year-olds, as they probably have no idea who the special guests are, and there is little Elmo exposure, but for a fan of classic Sesame Street (especially one who was a small child in 1988 like I was) it's a wonderful show! Highly recommended! Great memories! Previously available only on VHS, it was released on DVD last month.

Greg

Oliver

Reaction score
Thanks GB, does it exclusively feature clips or whole segmented skits and is the focus primarily on songs or do the classic muppets sequences share equal running time?

Also, do you know approx. how many skits are featured and what muppets/series are shown (non-musical) aaaand, are any of the original animated/stop-motion bridges (typewriter, pinball counting game, teeny little super guy, etc) featured?

Finally, do you know of any other similair dvd releases in this context or is this the only one for us 80's SS fans to date?

Thanks a lot for the insight!!

Oliver.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
Oliver said:
Thanks GB, does it exclusively feature clips or whole segmented skits and is the focus primarily on songs or do the classic muppets sequences share equal running time? Also, do you know approx. how many skits are featured and what muppets/series are shown (non-musical) aaaand, are any of the original animated bridges (typewriter, pinball counting game, etc) featured?

Finally, do you know of any other similair dvd releases in this context or is this the only one to date?

Thanks a lot for the insight!!

Oliver.

I actually don't have a copy of this (although I'm getting one soon) but it is mostly songs, if not entirely so. (Even the Grover the waiter sketch is musical) There are no animations. It is strictly Muppets/live action. The sketches on the special are in their entirety though. BTW did you get my last email, Oliver?

Greg

Oliver

Reaction score
gbrobeck said:
I actually don't have a copy of this (although I'm getting one soon) but it is mostly songs, if not entirely so. (Even the Grover the waiter sketch is musical) There are no animations. It is strictly Muppets/live action. The sketches on the special are in their entirety though. BTW did you get my last email, Oliver?

Greg

Thanks a lot and yes I got your email and responded earlier today, did it not go through? I hope so cause I did a lot of typing!

:}

Anyways, I think I'll try to rent this or see if they've got it at the library before putting any dollars down for it...

BTW, in future it'd be more convenient to direct emails to Dooks21@Hotmail.com - Just because I check that address more frequently as my AOL account is primarily for Ebay related purchases...

Let me know if the email went through.

Oliver.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
Oliver said:
Thanks a lot and yes I got your email and responded earlier today, did it not go through? I hope so cause I did a lot of typing!

:}

Anyways, I think I'll try to rent this or see if they've got it at the library before putting any dollars down for it...

BTW, in future it'd be more convenient to direct emails to Dooks21@Hotmail.com - Just because I check that address more frequently as my AOL account is primarily for Ebay related purchases...

Let me know if the email went through.

Oliver.

I replied to that email thats what I was asking about. I'll send a new one to the other address.

Greg

gbrobeck

Reaction score
By the way, I'd also recommend the DVD "Monster Hits!" if you're a fan of Muppet songs and sketches. Again, I don't have it, but it features a lot of great vintage songs sung by the monsters of Sesame Street.

Greg