"Quality" TV Being Phased Out?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, this isn't another one of my rants about the mindless garbage of lame sitcoms, unbelievable reality shows, and the endless string of Law & Order-esque series that is today's television.

What I'm talking about is something I've notice that's been happening in "rerun heaven" as of late; is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of the more popular, beloved and "greatest" shows are being phased out slowly from the airwaves? TV Land began phasing out M*A*S*H months ago, Hallmark Channel just now dropped it entirely after six years, and ION plays it less and less; meanwhile I couldn't help but notice Seinfeld seems to only come on ONCE a day on TBS now, meanwhile FOX occasionally plays it at an odd hour (like 12:30 or 2:30 in the morning).

Shows like these are considered the greatest of all time, and it would seem that they're endless popularity with audiences would make syndicated reruns very marketable, but it seems as if they're slowly disappearing from the airwaves.

Anyone else getting this vibe?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Tell you what...

take the word "Quality" out of the title of this thread and you have the answer...TV is vastly becoming obsolete... and idiotic decisions from careless newbie network heads are only rushing things. It's no surprise that reality TV is the worst thing that ever existed ever ever ever... people complain about how it eats up TV schedules... I've seen NOTHING... absolutely NOTHING but venom and bile and hatred towards Cartoon Network's CN real trash... and ALL the complaints fall on deaf ears.

The sad thing is, we an complain and complain and complain till the cows AND chickens come home, and a small fraction of the populous will still watch the same crap over and over... and mainly for ironic reasons.

Other than Fox's sunday night catrtoon line up, Heroes, and half of NBC's Thursdays (I can't believe they canceled the highly rated My name is Earl for the low rated, and soon to be canceled Parks and recreation... talk about idiotic), I barely watch TV anymore. Saturday mornings are COMPLETELY dead now (Thanks FCC, ACT, and various busy bodies).

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
This is why vast majority of my TV-watching is on DVD and VHS and/or online. And of course, I do tune in when I can for Jeopardy! Wheel of Fortune, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and Sesame Street!:smile::super::wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is why vast majority of my TV-watching is on DVD and VHS and/or online.
And frankly, that's the problem... there's nothing on TV anymore, and no one watches it... in other words, there's nothing on TV because there's no one watching the nothing, so they feel safer with cheaper to produce, risk free nothing. And all the nothings are ripoffs of something that was successful.

I'm still ticked about Pushing Daisies... and they replaced it with Sitcoms... now, a couple of them are enjoyable (not great... I am digging Cougar Town, though)... but that Hank thing with Kelsey Grammar sucks. It's so... so like all the other family sitcoms that ABC tried since 2000... I like Kelsey Grammar and all, but he should never be on another sitcom again. He's totally talented (watch any episode of the Simpsons with Sideshow Bob or Toy Story 2, where he plays the Prospector), and he's blowing it on these trite little shows.

sesameguy

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say I see what you mean. TV does not have the place in my life that it had when I was younger. There's not much on that I "need" to watch. I recently missed a program on the History channel that I wanted to see. But so what? It wasn't the end of the world. I'm blessed to have other programs that I can enjoy. My life doesn't revolve around what's on TV.

Having said all that, it is still an incredibly important medium. TV is still the easiest way of transmitting video footage (the Web has a long way to go to catch up to TV quality) and one of the best ways of showcasing arts and information. TV isn't obsolete yet, it's just not the "only kid on the block" anymore. There are other ways we can spend our time that often can be more helpful and enjoyable.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
My Buck 'O Five

Much of classic television has already hit the DVD home market so I'm not surprised about TV Land's line up growing heavier on nostalgic shows of last decade or so over older fare. It's not right, but I get it.

As for television's future - it's bleak. Here's what a show needs to survive today: cheap or cost effective to produce, instant and consistent ratings right out of the gate, a loyal following that grows rather than shrinks, consumer interest from people who actually buy products advertised.

Things like Hulu and DVR technology have saved quality programs from a horrible fate. However programs like Pushing Daisies are doomed to fail due to the expensive and beautiful high-concept nature of the production. Daisies wouldn't be right without its production values. Shows like Dollhouse are a little easier on the budget and can gain enough of an internet-viewer following to continue.

The solution I propose to television programmers is MINI SEASONS! Why not be like the Brits? Create quality shows that have 6-13 episodes in each season. It keeps everybody happy and turns each episode into an event rather than time-slotted boredom. I'm sure actors would appreciate that too. It frees them up to pursue other opportunities while keeping their roles on hit shows. These Mini Seasons could be marked up an extra dollar for itunes downloads seeing that there's a scarcity involved. Television viewing is rapidly becoming a predominantly portable device medium.

Yeah, we're going to have to pay more for all sorts of things that used to be free. That's the wave of the future and unfortunately there's no fighting it. But wouldn't you pay $2.99 per episode to keep Pushing Daisies on the air? Heck, I'd pay a movie ticket price!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
13 episodes is a mini season? Maybe by previous standards...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
13 episodes is a mini season? Maybe by previous standards...
Yup. It wasn't until very recently that 13 episodes was widely considered an actual season. It's usually 21-23.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hmm.

I think the smallest on record was what... five?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hmm.

I think the smallest on record was what... five?
A long post with much more interesting ideas contained and that's what you're picking at? I don't understand. :confused:

Free TV is dying!