Question about a version of Hansel and Gretel

salemfan

Reaction score
I saw a version of Hansel and Gretel in which the old woman invites Hansel and Gretel into her candy house and after asking them, "what would you like to eat first-some candy? some cake? Hmmm?" by the light of her lantern the old lady cast a frightening shadow on the wall, then the children scream and the old lady asks, "Is something wrong?" then the old lady turns into a witch, the candy turns into wood, the cake turns into a cage, and the candy house turns into a tree stump house. Do you think the old lady turned into a witch, the candy into wood, the cake into a cage, and the house into a tree stump house by accident or on purpose and why?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Well this is very different from the usual sort of story version but assuming the old lady really was the dreaded cannibal witch she's supposed to traditionally be, I would say Yes. She did all that mumbo-jumbo on purpose to trap Hansel and Gretel for her dinner.

salemfan

Reaction score
When, "By the light of her lantern the old lady cast a frightening shadow on the wall" do you think that this sends the wrong message about shadows? Aren't youngsters supposed to learn that shadows are harmless?

MrsWembly

Reaction score
Which version is this? I've never seen it. My favorite is the Fairie Tale Theatre version. :sympathy: