Question about Episode 1056 on YouTube

JLG

Reaction score
Or more specifically, the transfer of it that appears on the Old School DVD. (I don't have the disk, but I'm watching it on YouTube.) It's full of all these weird cropping problems. Throughout the whole episode, the picture keeps wobbling and shifting all over the place. It's most noticeable when one segment cuts into another, but really the whole episode is full of it. I can't imagine what the reason is. Like I commented on YouTube, it's almost like some drunk person tried to make a pan-and-scan out of something that didn't need it. :stick_out_tongue:
I first noticed a few days ago, but when watching it again to make sure I wasn't imagining things, I noticed something even weirder. In some scenes, the background seems to be shifting and warping independently of the rest of the picture. Just look at some of the shots in the first street scene when the cast members start playing the instruments---especially the closeups of Maria and Gordon.

I mean...what the heck? :confused:

Heck, even the big "1056" in the opening doesn't sit still----it spends its few seconds on screen shifting and shrinking.

Does anyone have any idea what's up with this? It's very strange....

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That's just YouTube's stupid method of fixing videos that are "shaky"; there's nothing wrong with the DVD version of it.

JLG

Reaction score
Whoa, really? Can you elaborate a little? I'd never heard of YouTube having a "fixing" mechanism, for lack of a better term. You mean it actually has a sort of built-in DVNR thing? But if that's the case how come it doesn't kick in for people's shaky, wobbly home videos?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When you upload a video to YouTube, and they detect that it's "shaky", they give you the option to fix it after it's been processed, however, the "fixing" actually makes the video more worse than better, and like you say, it ends up looking like a drunk person tried to make a pan-and-scan out of the video.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
YouTube more often than not re-encodes videos. This can make a subtle or drastic difference depending on the quality of your source material and what compression codec was used before upload.

JLG

Reaction score
Huh. So what you're saying is that the uploader---probably not knowing any better---chose the setting that automatically looks for things to "fix." Boy. Did it ever make a train wreck out of that episode. :smirk:

The pan-and-scan stuff is one thing, but the warping backgrounds are REALLY weird.