question about foriegn Sesame Street

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have been wondering lately. Have any of the non-United States versions of Sesame Street ever had their own anniversary specials or movies? Have any of them had any books similar to Sesame Street Unpaved? Have there ever been any big DVD sets (similar to the upcomming Old School set) for any of them?

Cherrymoon

Reaction score
30th Sesamstrasse

There was a special show the 30th anniversary for Sesamstrasse. But no DVD or anything.

BEAR

Reaction score
On the "Sesame Street Celebrates Around the World" DVD (The New Years Eve special), they include segments from the international shows. It's quite wonderful.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh... The title for that special is Sesame Street Stays Up Late: A New Year's Eve Celebration (1993).
I remember catching it without any previous warning/knowledge that it existed or would air back when I was still watching SS continuously in high school... Was rully surprised by it the first time I saw, a bit of luck I caught it since my family was vacationing that Christmas (the first one after my dad died) with the majority of my mom's side of the family up in Connecticut and Vermont.

As for MinorMuppets' question... I believe that the Sesame Workshop's website said Plaza Sesamo was celebrating their 10th anniversary a couple of years ago, and the 10th season was being released on either VHS or DVD, not sure.
Hope this helps.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
i remeber a special about 20 some diffrent seasme street shows around the world 10-15 years back

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Not sure which special that might've been.
An internationally sung version of "Rubber Duckie" was used in the JHH special, Sesame Street 20 Years and Still Counting! when Joan Ganz-Cooney was talking about the international versions.
There was also the segments with the international characters in the special Sesame Street Stays Up Late: A New Year's Eve Celebration (1993).
And there's the new documentary that'll be released and aired on PBS this October 24th, The World According to Sesame Street.
Hope this helps.