1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Question about Mahna Mahna/Bip Bippadotta

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Ellygator, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Ellygator

Ellygator New Member

Is anyone else thrown off by Bip Bibadotta's name change to Mahna Mahna? I noticed this recently in the funkopop thread. I don't get why his name was officially changed to the name of that song. Yes that is his most famous skit, but he's also been in a bunch of others. And he was one of the first original muppets when jim henson first started puppetry on tv, before the muppet show or sesame street were even a concept. Does anyone know when or why it happened?

:coy:
  2. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

His name didn't actually get changed...they are two different characters. Mahna Mahna is the Muppet version, Bip Bipadotta is the Sesame Street version. The puppets have some differences. Another thing is that Bip Bipadotta talks, whereas Mahna Mahna doesn't seem to.
  3. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

The Sesame Street version originally doesn't have a name. The writers named him Bip Bipadotta to avoid confusion from Mahna Mahna.
  4. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

That's true, the Mahna Mahna guy must be a reference to the song, "Mahna, Mahna" and the Bip Bipadotta was from Sesame Street. The Mahna Mahna character is around tioday, but he is performed by Bill Baretta, but the Bip Bipdotta, not so much longer on Sesame Street anymore right after Jim's passing.
    catherine likes this.
  5. catherine

catherine Active Member

I guess they have to have different names, otherwise we'de get mixed up.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Mahna Mahna talked in "The String Quartet" sketch on The Ed Sullivan Show. I wish he would have been given more non-Mahna Mahna dialogue over the years.

They named the Sesame Street version to avoid confusion between the two, but I think they did a poor job of it. I don't think either character was ever referred to by name on-screen (would the average fan instantly know that Mahna Mahna's name is that because that's the song he sings?). The only time Bip Bipadotta's name had been shown was in the album credits for Everybody's Record. And from what I've heard, Everybody's Song appeared in the record first and then appeared on the show later (so if somebody hadn't seen the number they might think it's a generic Jim Henson voice) and the album packaging doesn't include any photos of the character. And many sources seem to call the Sesame Street version "Ma nah ma nah" (credits for albums that have the Mahna Mahna song, sesamestreet.org).
  7. catherine

catherine Active Member

of course it is
  8. Ellygator

Ellygator New Member

But my understanding is he is the same character, just an evolution of the puppet like every other character, even Kermit. The sesame street character has a bunch of other songs (opposites, fat cat sat hat, some and none, etc) and the muppet show version just has different eyes but is essentially the same guy. I don't see the point.
  9. brkndwnbus

brkndwnbus Active Member

Here's some articles that might help:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Bip_Bippadotta

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Mahna_Mahna_(character)
  10. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I started typing up a long detailed reply but my system is being PAINFULLY slow tonight and keeps freezing up so rather than spend what at this rate would probably be hours to finish it, i'll post it when the system's not being such a headache...large "Muppet History" post putting everything in context will be coming soon.
  11. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Active Member

I always figured Bip was just a nickname. People can say they're different just because their design and name is different, but to me there's no real difference.
    [​IMG]
  12. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member