1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Question about making puppets

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by PiggyLover13, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

I thought this was interesting too, because there are a couple puppets I have had for over 10 years that are stored in plastic bags and I have never noticed it having any detrimental effect on the puppets (I do change the plastic bags every few years though).

Does anybody have an understanding of what sort of chemical reaction would be caused by the plastic that would make a puppet deteriorate faster?
  2. staceyrebecca

staceyrebecca Member

The Great Arizona Puppet Theater hangs all of their marionettes protected in muslin bags. Their puppets for other shows (mostly glove puppets or rod puppets) are stored in wooden crates or trunks. They've lasted them 30 years so far. Some of the marionettes are older. When we have our puppets travel temporarily outside of the show's box, we put them in plastic bags...

PERSONALLY I shove mine in plastic boxes & throw them up on the shelf, but I don't expect my puppets to last 30 years.
  3. Buck-Beaver

Here is some advice re: storing puppets in plastic from Puptcrit:

4. Buck-Beaver

The link to the round head pattern was working when I checked, but in case it isn't try downloading it from http://www.flickr.com/photos/41111968@N00/sets/72157602722672544/

I will try to put a copy of the Kermit head pattern online tonight when I have time, but it's virtually the same as the head from the Project Puppet "Sock Puppet" pattern (if you already have that).
  5. Toasty

Toasty New Member

Andrew,
    Excellent find at Pupcrit... thanks very much for posting.
  6. Patience

Patience New Member

Blink,

Sorry, I missed commenting on the PVC pipe idea! I'm sure it was kind of confusing to hear me say "avoid plastics" and then go on to say use PVC.

You are absolutely right, the PVC should also be avoided for long term use. However, if you stick a sponge ball on the end of your PVC and only use it for display purposes, I don't think it would cause any problems. It's long term use of plastics and chemicals that need to be avoided.

Hope I didn't confuse too many.

Patience