Question about Mouth Manipulation

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
So I've been playing around with puppet manipulation and I've come accross something I'm trying to figure out. I've read that it's best to get he puppet's lower jaw to move more than the upper. But every time I do this with a puppet it seems almost physically impossible to get the lower jaw to move without moving the upper part and that caues the puppet's head to bob all over the place.
I was wondering if this is just somethng that requires practice (somethimes things feel weird until you practice it a lot). Or does this have something to do with the way the puppet's built and if that's the case do you guys have any tips on how to rectify that?
Thanks.

Animal31

Reaction score
Hi, what kind of puppet are you working with?

Thanks

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
It's just a basic hand puppet. The head is either just fabric stuffed with some foam for shape or made of foam and there's no foam in the lower jaw (I've got a couple puppets) The mouth piece is attached on all side by the head fabric.
is that what you were looking for or did you want somethign else?

Animal31

Reaction score
I was just curious to see if there was a difference in a sock puppet versus something like Elmo or Ernie. I've looked at both, and even tried it with an Elmo type puppet, and the best I could do is open them up equally. I suppose it can be done with practice, but I seen alot more manipulation through the neck and even lowering the head slightly when speaking more than only movement in the lower jaw.

I suppose it could be constructed to do so, or at least look so, by making the foam head go down around the wrist, leaving the bottom jaw as a separate piece. I tend to build mine (not very many finished) with the mouth open, making the closing of the mouth as the unnatural movement...

Hope that helps a little

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Yea it does a little. Thanks. I'm really new to manipulation so anything helps.
Answering your question a little more concisely they're puppets more like Elmo or Ernie.

practicecactus

Reaction score
I think the trick is to sorta push the words out, so your fingers stay parallel to to the floor while your thumb does all the moving. There's always gonna be a bit of head movement though but so long as the head isn't flapping up and back you're doin ok.

Animal31

Reaction score
I think the trick is to sorta push the words out, so your fingers stay parallel to to the floor while your thumb does all the moving. There's always gonna be a bit of head movement though but so long as the head isn't flapping up and back you're doin ok.
HaHa - thanks, those are exactly the words I was looking for. Sounds alot better than neck movement........... :smile:

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
That works a whole lot better, at least my thumb makes that movement easier than just strait up and down. Thank you :big_grin: