1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Question about Muppeteer Understudy Actors

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Ethan Menaker, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Ethan Menaker

Ethan Menaker New Member

Hi. My name is Ethan. I am not a die hard fan, but I am a fan enough that I have questions that probably couldn't be answered anywhere else. My first question; Is there a list anywhere of all the Sesame Street and Muppet understudies besides the ones for Big Bird, Oscar, and Kermit?

2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

We don't really know who any of the understudies are besides the ones for Big Bird and Oscar. Big Bird is Matt Vogel and Eric Jacobson stands in for Oscar. As for Kermit,I don't really think he or any of the other Muppet Show characters have an understudies. Besides that,we literally have no idea who the understudies for the Sesame Street muppets are. Someone who works on the show has said that each main character has an understudy,and Marty Robinson has said he is training someone to takeover his characters. But the names of the understudies are completely unknown as of now. Ryan Dillon,Billy Barkhurst,Matt Vogel,Jennifer Barnhart and Stephanie D'abruzzo have all taken over many of the main characters since many of the older performers have moved on. But as for the other characters like Abby,Grover,Rosita,Cookie,Telly etc. we have no idea who will understudy for these characters.

3. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

When Jim was still alive he would occasionally have Steve do the puppetry for Kermit if Jim's eyes were needed elsewhere such as directing etc.

On the new Muppets TV show Eric has said that in scenes where Miss Piggy and Fozzie appear together he will perform whichever is more the focus of the scene and it is usually Peter Linz who will perform the second character. I am not sure if that qualifies as being an understudy or more of a stunt double.

4. Ethan Menaker

Ethan Menaker New Member

I think that just qualifies as a stunt double. What I'm guessing is that is that for the Muppeteers who are older and closer to retirement, they train people who already have other roles. But for those who are young and nowhere near any expected retirement, they probably just train people who are otherwise "additional performers". For example, Ryan Dillon hadn't done anything other than minor characters till he unexpectedly took over for Clash.

5. Ethan Menaker

Ethan Menaker New Member

Also, are there any clips of Eric performing Oscar?

6. Ethan Menaker

Ethan Menaker New Member

Also, I was wondering if I'm alone in thinking Peter Linz could take over Gonzo after Dave Goelz sine I feel his characters have a similar vocal range?

7. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

A partially Caroll/partially Eric clip.
    http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/...ms-oscar-on-sprouts-sunny-side-up-show.59159/

If Dave ever stops performing, I'm thinking Brett O'Quinn will likely be the guy they go to, at least for Gonzo.

8. Ethan Menaker

Ethan Menaker New Member

Apparently, Drew Massey voiced Gonzo for a few seconds in Robot Chicken. I wonder how he would do?

Also, when Carroll moves on and Eric takes over for the Grouch, I have begun to think that at least one of Bert, Grover, and Guy Smiley will be reassigned. I'd like to see Guy Smiley reassigned because I don't think Eric is as great as Guy as someone in the Jim Henson vocal range lineage would be (e.g. Steve Whitmire, Artie Esposito, or Billy Barkhurst). I'd definitely like ton see Billy as Guy Smiley

9. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I don't think any of Eric's characters will be recast after Oscar.

cahuenga likes this.
  10. Mo Frackle

Brett O'Quinn was the only one of the 'understudies' that actually auditioned for Gonzo. In the case of Robot Chicken, Drew (and Victor Yerrid) were essentially hired as impressionists, rather than performers.

11. Ethan Menaker

Ethan Menaker New Member

I'm guessing that the person Marty is training is either Tyler Bunch or Peter Linz. Any thoughts?

12. Mo Frackle

It could be anyone, really. :)

13. MuppetSpot

I think Tyler Bunch for Telly & Noel McNeal for Snuffy.

14. Pig's Laundry

It might be someone who's relatively unknown like Ryan Dillon and Billy Barkhurst were before they took over Elmo and Ernie. Or it might be a more established muppeteer like Tyler,Peter or Noel,there's literally no way to know.

15. Ethan Menaker

Ethan Menaker New Member

My guesses for understudies on Sesame Street
    -Grover (Paul McGinnis, as he performed him back at the '03 SW Gala)
    -Cookie Monster (Tyler Bunch, if not then Paul McGinnis)
    -Baby Bear (Paul McGinnis, as his speaking voice is similar to David's)
    -Grundgetta (Stephanie D'Abruzzo)
    -Telly (Tyler Bunch)
    -Rosita (Haley Jenkins, if you watch Haley in Victor Yerrid's Pitch Perfect 2 Cup Song video, she has moments where it seems she is definitely capable of performing Rosita's voice, granted it wouldn't be as authentic as Carmen)
    -Abby (Stephanie D'Abruzzo)
    -Count von County (Tyler Bunch)
    -Bert (likely an unknown)
    -Snuffy (likely an unknown, Noel is only 7 years younger than Marty, so it wouldn't make sense for him)
    -Murray (Ryan Dillon)

Any comments?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  16. MuppetSpot

Most likely for Cookie is Tyler Bunch due to Sesame Beginnings videos.

17. Ethan Menaker

Ethan Menaker New Member

I had no idea Tyler Bunch did Cookie. You're probably right then

18. Pig's Laundry

Okay,I don't know who this is but whoever it is should be Eric Jacobson's understudy:

19. Ethan Menaker

Ethan Menaker New Member

According to Muppet Wiki, his name is Andy Hayward and he has worked with Sesame Workshop; http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Andy_Hayward. I wholeheartedly agree that he should be Eric's understudy and should be maybe even take over one of either Bert or Grover when Eric takes over Oscar, so Eric isn't overworked.

20. Ethan Menaker

Ethan Menaker New Member

I just found Andy Hayward's voice demos on his website; http://www.andyhayward.net/videos.html and he seems VERY talented with a VERY impressive vocal range. He does impressions of both Ernie and Bert (or Fozzie, can't even tell without visuals) on this. Additionally, he played Bear in Bear in the Big Blue House live (whether it was to a track of Noel's voice I don't know).