1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Question about Playhouse Videos' Back Covers

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by minor muppetz, Sep 15, 2005.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Can anybody tell me what pictures were on the back covers of the playhouse Muppet Show compilation videos from 1985?

here are what pictures I do know were included: (all from left to right)
    The Muppet Revue: Miss Piggy and the pigs on motorcycles (from "i get around"), Mahna Mahna in front of a blue background, and Miss Piggy and other pigs from "staying alive".
    Rock Music With The Muppets: Floyd and Zoot, Fletcherbird, and Animal behind his drum kit (note: I can't remember if this is left to right ot right to left).
    Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff: the red Hugga Wugga creature, Bunsen wearing an exploding hat in muppet labs, and the female koozebanian creature.
    Muppet Moments: three or four birds, Lenny The Lizard seeing that he has Big Vs nose in his mouth, and the snerfs (even though they weren't in this video).

2. TotallySpiesFan

TotallySpiesFan New Member

Rowlf's Rhapsodies: Jug band members in "Mississippi Mud", Rowlf as Sherlock Holmes with Baskerville as Watson, and a windmill creature from "Windmills of your Mind".

3. minor muppetz

Does that mean that the sherlock holmes sketch and the windmills of your mind are both on this video? After all, Muppet Moments had a picture of the snerfs on the back even though they weren't in it (maybe a sketch with them was planned to be included but was taken out at the last minute). I do know that Mississippi Mud was included.

4. Stulz

Stulz Active Member

no Holmes..

The sherlock holmes sketch is not included, but the windmills of your mind is.

I always wonderd where that pic came from and why they used it ...

5. minor muppetz

bump

I thought I would bump this thread back up just in case people who know what pictures are on the other back covers missed this.

6. minor muppetz

Were there any other videos where the back covers had a picture from a sketch that wasn't included in that particular video? Were the Sherlock Holmes sketch and In A Little swedish Town (with the snerfs) included in any of the Playhouse videos? If they were, then maybe the people who worked on the packaging made a mistake. Or maybe those sketches were meant to be on the videos but were cut after the packaging was completed.

The picture of the Birds wasn't actually from the "Take a Chance on Me" sketch, which was in Muppet Moments. I think that was just a random photo of the birds, possibly meant for publicity purposes. I don't think it was from any particular sketch (but I may be wrong).

7. minor muppetz

8. Stulz

Stulz Active Member

Yes that image is from The Muppet Movie.

9. minor muppetz

I've been googling most of the playhouse titles, and looking at amazon.com pages (seems used copies typically run for 23-49 dollars, which I'm sort of surprised by, but then again, I feel they truly are treasures... But then I saw that amazon has one copy of Muppet Moments for 189 dollars... What the...?), and found an image from the back cover of Muppet Weird Stuff. I haven't seen that in years. Memories...

But something has occurred to me. I assume that all of the images on the back covers were taken during shooting of the sketches, as opposed to being still images (did Henson have special photos taken of every Muppet Show sketch?), and they would have been taken during the 1970s, long before the videos were planned. And I assume the cover images were taken especially for the videos. One thing I find interesting is that while many of the front covers have been reused many times (especially the Gonzo portion of the Muppet Weird Stuff cover), it seems rare for the back cover images to have been used elsewhere (that I've seen). I've seen the back covers for many international releases (why are the international back covers more common to find online?), and in cases of the videos I've seen it seems they usually used at least one image from the back of the american video boxes, but otherwise they seem rare (the main exception being the image of Mahna Mahna on the back cover of The Muppet Revue, which I've seen used many times, including the cover of a Mahna Mahna single). Weird.

10. Stulz

Stulz Active Member

If you are looking to own the VHS that one thing to pay that kind of money., However if you just want to watch them again Kermiclown has them all on DVD.

http://www.kermiclownvideos.com/

11. minor muppetz

I'm not really complaining much about the costs they typically go for online, just expressing a bit of surprise. Yeah, I haven't been able to find a copy in person since 1996 (just a few nights ago I dreamt that I found a video store that had all ten of them), only a couple are on YouTube, but I still didn't think casual sellers would see them worth that much (though I don't know if the sellers are casual fans or not).

But then again, I know that these were released at a time when home videos were really expensive, so used copies for nearly 30 dollars are probably cheaper than the original costs.

12. minor muppetz

After doing some google searches, I found the back cover for The Kermit and Piggy Story!

The images are: A generic photo of Kermit and Piggy dressed up, Kermit and Scooter from Ukelelee Lady (and I think Piggy's in the image, can't tell due to the size), and Piggy and a pig from Cuanto Le Gusta.

I hope I can find the other back covers soon. Of course lately it's been more common for me to find both back covers and inside covers for these videos (though in some cases I've found such images and then later had trouble re-finding them).

13. minor muppetz

I've found the back covers for Children's Songs and Stories with the Muppets (found that back cover last year, surprised I didn't post about it here) and Fozzie's Muppet Scrapbook.

Children's Songs and Stories has images of: the octopus from Octopuses Garden, Sweetums and Robin (a close-up of that one photo of them that's popped up many times), and "Halfway Down the Stairs".

Fozzie's Muppet Scrapbook has images of: Otto the Robot in drag (though I don't think that segment appears in the video), Patrol Bear arresting somebody for impersonating an officer (though a different Bear on Patrol segment is included), and Fozzie with Chuckie.

So now the only back covers I have not seen are for Muppet Treasures and Country Music with the Muppets.

14. minor muppetz

I've found the back cover for Muppet Treasures. The images are: Fozzie with Punch and Judy puppets (from the linking footage? is this the only video where the back cover has a linking footage image?), The Newsman at his desk, and the Walrus from "Lullaby of Broadway".

I kind of suspected these photos were used, as Muppet Wiki has images of some of the foreign releases which include these images (don't know why I don't remember seeing the Fozzie one there). Weird that, it seems, none of the Playhouse Videos have images from Pigs in Space or Vets Hospital on the back covers (the Spanish back cover for Muppet Treasures has a Pigs in Space photo).

So now Country Music with the Muppets is the only one where I haven't seen the back cover.

15. Stulz

Stulz Active Member

Not for long!

I finally found my images of the Playhouse videos and I uploaded the images of both the back AND gatefold covers to each of the video's pages. ENJOY!

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Playhouse_Video

minor muppetz likes this.
  16. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Do you have the actual videos as well? Either way, thanks for sharing.

17. minor muppetz

Thank you. It's good to see all these.

Wow, so the fact inside The Muppet Revue was about The Swedish Chef? That seems to be the only fact that doesn't concern one of the videos hosts (while Muppet Treasures and Muppet Moments both have facts about Fozzie's first audition), though I haven't seen the inside cover for Rowlf's Rhapsodies.

And even though we can just look at these pages, I might as well say what's on the back cover of Country Music, since I have with all the other videos: The blue jug blower from the first jugband, TR from the chicken western, and Fozzie in rural clothes (Fozzie doesn't appear at all in that video, but many of these videos back covers have at least one image that isn't representative of anything from the video). I had suspected that the back cover would have had an image from the chicken western, and at least one of the two jugbands.

18. Stulz

Stulz Active Member

Yes, I have the whole set. When I copied them to DVD I scanned the cases and inside covers.