Question about size

jcnegron

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am building some puppets for a show but somehow the first one turned out extremely big. So I would like to ask to all of you who have worked with professional puppets, specially actual muppets, how large are they? The characters we have in mind are the regular size ones, on the line of Ernie, Bert, the Count, Zoe, Lola from "Plaza Sesamo" etc. I have seen some pictures of the puppeteers next to their characters, yet, I can not gauge the size of them in the photos, because sometimes they appear smaller or larger depending on the perspective.
thanks for your help.

JC

Beauregard

Reaction score
Size doesn't matter, it's how you use them.:embarrassed:

jcnegron

Reaction score
size

Ha , ha, are we still talking about puppets?

Seriously, I would like to know. This puppets should be about the size of those I mentioned before.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I wish I knew...

I'd imagine Prarie Dawn to be about 18", but she's not exactly "regular sized"

wes

Reaction score
I have a tendancy to build puppets on the big size. I guess it's in my head. I have to make a real affort to make them smaller.

I guess the size of the puppet would depend of where you use it. In tv the size and be smaller because on the camera being up close. But with a live audience it wouldn't hurt for the puppet to be a little bigger.

Thats what happened when I built the pirate puppet He was huge, I used his body cavity to hide my head. My audience was 400 Children and he was big anuff for everyone to see. But The draw back to size is weight, the puppet is probably 10-15 lbs. but he's a great character. But What an artist won't do for his art!:rolleyes: :wink:

Oh, one more thing Size restrich movoment. The pirate stayed in one place most of the time. It was hard to move around.

Nojoy

Reaction score
Well, if a puppet's body (a foam one that is) should measure from a little below the wrist to a bit above the elbow, so as not to restrict movement, then that gives you a "yard stick" to figure out your proportions. It's a matter of how you want them to look.
I too was suprised by how small a lot of the muppets actually were when not on screen... they say TV adds 10 pounds, heh.

wes

Reaction score
Well, if a puppet's body (a foam one that is) should measure from a little below the wrist to a bit above the elbow, so as not to restrict movement, then that gives you a "yard stick" to figure out your proportions. It's a matter of how you want them to look.
I too was suprised by how small a lot of the muppets actually were when not on screen... they say TV adds 10 pounds, heh.
tru Dat! ( slang for "that is true")