Question about the release of "The Lorax" in March 2012

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
You know I did forget that and you're right those movies are also very well done. Ultimately it came down to the quality of the writing. The jokes were sophisticated and not cheap laughs, yet other times the story was taken very seriously and you absolutely believed in their world. In fact I would argue I liked the movie better than the TV series (though the series was fine, it was just different).

I know you shouldn't judge movies by their trailers but this Lorax remake horrifies me and makes me weep for the medium of cinema. Perhaps it truly is on its way out, heh.
I agree Horton was cute, but it could be terrible as some live action cartoon movie. I like both versions as well.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ok! I wasn't sure, myself.
Yeah I guess reboot is the more accurate term.

This whole thing is just such a crime to me. The original Lorax book and cartoon is so incredibly dark and melancholy and spot on regarding environmental issues. And for this monstrosity to now come along and destroy all that just really makes me angry, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Makes me wonder how a fourth Austin Powers movie would do at this point.
From what I understand, a fourth one WAS in the works, supposedly the sub-villain of this one was supposed to be a "Dr. Strangelove", but I guess that ended up becoming The Love Guru instead, because people have reviewed that it's like Mike Myers basically, "Took an Austin Powers scripts, scratched out 'groovy spy' and replace it with 'creepy Indian'."

I also remember reading at one point that Myers wanted to do as many Austin Powers movies as there were James Bond movies... not sure how well that would have worked. I think perhaps a spin-off movie focusing on Scotty becoming evil may have made for like a good revenge story: spending all those years not being able to measure up to Dr. Evil's expectations, and then when he finally does Dr. Evil goes straight when he realizes Nigel Powers is his real father and that Austin is really his brother.

SCOTTY: You'll pay... you'll ALL PAY! *Runs away like a girl*
DR. EVIL: I would just like to point out that no one else in my gene pool runs like a girl...

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Yeah I guess reboot is the more accurate term.

This whole thing is just such a crime to me. The original Lorax book and cartoon is so incredibly dark and melancholy and spot on regarding environmental issues. And for this monstrosity to now come along and destroy all that just really makes me angry, lol.
I know what you mean. I saw Scooby-Doo 1, and wanted to send a long letter of complaints to the Director.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know I did forget that and you're right those movies are also very well done. Ultimately it came down to the quality of the writing. The jokes were sophisticated and not cheap laughs, yet other times the story was taken very seriously and you absolutely believed in their world. In fact I would argue I liked the movie better than the TV series (though the series was fine, it was just different).
I can't believe how layered that movie was. It's one of the few times they add something to the source material, and it's all the stronger for it. It dealt with some heavy themes, but didn't come off a depressing mess. I dug the Hanna Barbera cartoon, and I also liked the New Addams Family series (the few episodes I've seen), but there's something very special about the movie. And I WANTED to see the musical, but it cost too much money that I don't have.

Like I said, it looks like all of that is an anecdote to a generic kiddy flick. The cartoon special went even deeper than the book, bringing up a moral dilemma for the Lorax... The Onceler pulls the Lorax aside at one point and says "what about the jobs? If I stop, hundreds will be out of work." And the Lorax replies "I don't know the answer to that." It brought a small sense of balance to the story with that one line, adding the discussion of progress and preservation.

As for the movie, I was pleasantly surprised by the studio's Despicable Me, and my only complaint is that it needed a little more mad science. There was nothing in that film more precious than Gru, annoyed, reading the book about the kitties, and getting misty eyed on the last page. That was such a sweet catharsis for the character. Not to mention the depth of the character stemming from mommy issues. There's supposed to be a sequel, and I hope it keeps the integrity of the first movie... and has actual merchandise you can buy in stores. I desperately wanted a Minion figure after seeing the film.

But like all movies I complain about, I'll eventually wind up seeing it and probably liking it to some extent. The only reason why I'd see it though is because Danny Devito is one of my favorite actors and just to shove it in Lou Dobbs's sourpuss Neo-con face.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I can't believe how layered that movie was. It's one of the few times they add something to the source material, and it's all the stronger for it.
Exactly, it basically took a pretty good idea and made it even better, which is rare.

The Onceler pulls the Lorax aside at one point and says "what about the jobs? If I stop, hundreds will be out of work." And the Lorax replies "I don't know the answer to that." It brought a small sense of balance to the story with that one line, adding the discussion of progress and preservation.
It's rare for adult movies to be that insightful today, never mind kid's movies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something I suddenly thought about: All the Dr. Seuss animated TV specials were great, and with the exception of Daisy-Head Maisie, all of them had Dr. Seuss's involvement. Makes me wonder if any of these Dr. Seuss movies would have been a lot better if Seuss was alive and able to work on them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's rare for adult movies to be that insightful today, never mind kid's movies.
The thing is, most of the time, a "kid's project" is a hundred times more insightful than an adult project. I don't see why kid's shows make such esoteric references and "adult" shows don't. Even today! Brave and the Bold is full of SOOOO much esoteric and biting things that only the older fans would appreciate. It's so full of nerdy insider jokes. One episode even had a dead on spoof of G.I. Joe PSA's worked right into the plot. Even Family Guy didn't nail them that hard. The last episode of the show was completely full of inside TV humor about shows going downhill and getting canceled. Even some of the best sitcoms don't get away with stuff like that.

And even some not that great kid's movies have insight. As much of a self congratulating stand up routine to animation Bee Movie was, it did shed to light the problems that will be caused by the dwindling bee population. Opened MY eyes up, I can tell you that. And as meh as the Alvin and the Chipmunks first movie was, it DID say some choice things about the music industry that you just can't get away with unless you have an underground expose documentary. If you can slip something slightly subversive or important into even the crummiest of kid's movies, there is something there.

I don't see it with this film at ALL. Any pro-environmental message it has is as plastic as the bottles people are too lazy to put in a separate bin in the first place. Much like ALL of GE's environmental initiatives. I bet they're looking for another government grant with this film. And I do NOT like the idea of the Lorax hocking a supposedly "eco-friendly" SUV.

That said, I wish I bought those Cat in the Hat movie action figures. I'd just pretend they weren't from the movie since they actually look like the book art cat.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't see why kid's shows make such esoteric references and "adult" shows don't.
Perhaps because traditionally it's assumed people will not notice if a message is delivered in kid format. They'll think, "Oh well they can't possibly be saying that, it's an innocent little kid's show!"