Question about the smoking in Pinocchio

salemfan

Reaction score
Okay, we know that Walt Disney's Pinocchio was made before they knew smoking was bad, but when Pinocchio is seen smoking a cigar on Pleasure island, that was considered naughty. How could it be considered naughty to smoke when the movie was made before smoking was known to be bad?

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Because he's a little kid.

That's always been naughty.

My wife and I were talking about smoking the other day. Isn't it wierd how up until the mid-eighties, it was socially acceptable, almost required. But now it's like, if you see someone smoking, it's almost unheard of! It's like, 'they're smoking?!?!?!? Eeeeeeeeew!!!!'

Y'know?

I probably smoke a cigarette about once every year or two, and that's only at BIG gatherings. Otherwise, yuck. I'd hate to be one of those people whose clothes and living spaces are saturated with that lingering smell.

salemfan

Reaction score
How come it wasn't considered naughty when earlier in the movie, Geppetto was smoking a pipe? There are also pipes on the shelves of his shop.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I think the question that really needs to be addressed is why a boy made of wood thought it'd be a smart idea regardless to hold a lit anything that close to his face!

Ernie101

Reaction score
Oh yeah?

...........My question would be why a boy made of wood is holding anything.. Period.

salemfan

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
I think the question that really needs to be addressed is why a boy made of wood thought it'd be a smart idea regardless to hold a lit anything that close to his face!
Yeah, but even for the real boys on Pleasure Island, it was considered naughty to smoke. But not for Geppetto earlier in the film.

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think that it was directed that CHILDREN smoking was naughty...which it is...in todays society and before. A lot of men smoked pipes way back when and nothing was thought of that.

MGov

Reaction score
It wasn't the cigar smoking that bothered me so much in "Pinochio" as much as the snorting cocaine with hookers.

Wait. I think that might have been a different movie.

Nevermind.

salemfan

Reaction score
How come before they knew smoking was bad, it was naughty for children to smoke but okay for adults? And how did Disney get to make movies with bad guys AND good guys smoking?

Censored

Reaction score
teenintosesame said:
How come before they knew smoking was bad, it was naughty for children to smoke but okay for adults? And how did Disney get to make movies with bad guys AND good guys smoking?

Because there were always things that were considered appropriate for adults, but not children. Even coffee drinking by children has been frowned upon.