Question about Waldo?

Gonzo

Reaction score
Hey.

I was half-watching Star Wars: The Phantom Menace today, don't ask me why, and I was wondering:

Was Waldo the first digital/computer animated character that was a part of the live-action segments of television series/movie? I know about Roger Rabbit, but I'm talking computer animation.

Anyone know? I know Waldo was fairly groundbreaking, but anyone have any more info?

Quinnnnnn

scarecroe

Reaction score
I believe that honor goes to ILM for their CGI stained-glass-window knight in Barry Levinson's Young Sherlock Holmes from 1985. I only ever remember it because Bruce Broughton wrote a fantastic score that was never released until recently and only then in limited quantity.

The first all-CGI scene was in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn in 1982, also done by ILM.

grail

Reaction score
as an aside, for anyone interested, the 2-disk, "Collector's Edition" of Wrath of Kahn was released last week. no-one really noticed because of LOTR, but i got it, and it really is worth getting! and it was only $20

Gonzo

Reaction score
Okay--so Waldo was like the low-budget, TV version. Or something.

I'm debating whether or not to get "Wrath of Khan" on DVD--it's one of the four Trek flicks I've got on DVD, already, and trying to decide if it's worth the upgrade. Maybe after I get some others I've been waiting on...

Quinnnnnnn

grail

Reaction score
there's nothing special within the transfer of the movie itself, so if that's all you're interested, take a pass...it is supposedly an "extended director's edition", but it's been long enough since i've watched this, that i can't tell what's new. and if you like extras though...hoo boy are you gonna want this. it's got commentary (which i havn't listened to yet) and tons of interviews, with all sorts of different people. a couple of different featurettes, and storyboard archives.

if you're not sure, i'd say rent it first...but at under $20 at Best Buy, it's not really much of a risk.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually--I just wish Paramount had released these versions FIRST!

Quinnnnn

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Hey Quinn!

I posted some info on another thread just a few minutes ago. Wanted to make sure everyone saw it and didn't have to go searching through threads, but here it is again :smile:
Check it out:

Waldo Puppetry

- Billy :cool:

beaker

Reaction score
>>>as an aside, for anyone interested, the 2-disk, "Collector's Edition" of Wrath of Kahn was released last week. no-one really noticed because of LOTR<<<

I didnt even no LOTR came out, though I think Im the only one on the planet who is more excited by the idea of a Meet The Feebles special edition. Hmm, from $10,000 x rated puppet films to $300 million bloated budget epic medieval films, that Peter Jackson sure is quite the evolutionary director.

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
I think Im the only one on the planet who is more excited by the idea of a Meet The Feebles special edition. Hmm, from $10,000 x rated puppet films to $300 million bloated budget epic medieval films, that Peter Jackson sure is quite the evolutionary director.
i was SO upset...my local Best Buy apparantly got two copies...there was only one when i got there, and somebody grabbed it as i was reaching for it...

i WILL own that movie...i havn't seen it in years