Question

Adam822

Reaction score
Hi guys!

First off, I am new here, and I hope it is O.K. I joined this great forum. :smile:

Second, my reason for posting! I'm not sure if I posted this under the right subject, so... Yeah. :stick_out_tongue:

My question is, what is that little wire/string that looks to be fishing line that goes from Big Bird's hand up to like his neck? I have always wondered what its purpose was, I always speculated that it moved Big Bird's other arm, since obviously, Carrol Spinney's other hand was being used to control Big Bird's head.

I look forward to your replies and hopefully getting involved in different threads! :excited:

~Adam

Whatever

Reaction score
Exactly right. Big Bird's head is worked by Spinney right hand, the left hand works the left hand, and the string (attached to the left hand) works BB's right hand.
Welcome to MC!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
They seem to occasionally puppeteer both hands when Big Bird is shot against bluescreen, like in the "Journey To Ernie" segments. Presumably someone just stands beside Big Bird dressed in blue and works the right hand. Could be my eyes fooling me though.

Adam822

Reaction score
Whatever: Thank you for clearing that up!!

Buck: Cool, I think I noticed that too!

~Adam