Questions about anything

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
My next question is, with some exceptions, how and why is it that British singers sing with American accents?

Why do some American singers sing with a British Accent? :stick_out_tongue:

Like Billie Joe Armstrong...I don't know WHAT kind of accent he sings with but he's from California :stick_out_tongue:

2. It's a strange phenomenon for some British singers to sing with American accents, but it's something that's cultivated over time.

Ozzy Osbourne has always sang with a vaguely American accent though...

Truthfully I think it has less to do with development over time and more to do with how easier it is to sing with a certain accent for certain music. Most british punk bands sing with incredibly strong british accents.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Truthfully I think it has less to do with development over time and more to do with how easier it is to sing with a certain accent for certain music. Most british punk bands sing with incredibly strong british accents.
Like the Sex Pistols. :sing:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
My next question is, with some exceptions, how and why is it that British singers sing with American accents?
The Beatles were actually asked this when they first came to America. They tried to explain that theirs was just a different English accent than Americans were used to hearing. I believe there's a clip floating around somewhere where Paul explains that they (for instance) say the word grass closer to the way Americans say it, as opposed to a more upper class English pronunciation.

Of course it should also be noted that the Beatles were heavily influenced by American groups. You can hear that especially in their Live at the BBC boxset, where they occasionally take on a sort of American southern twang, lol.

Bridget

Reaction score
Why do some American singers sing with a British Accent? :stick_out_tongue:

Like Billie Joe Armstrong...I don't know WHAT kind of accent he sings with but he's from California :stick_out_tongue:

Ozzy Osbourne has always sang with a vaguely American accent though...

I've definitely noticed this as well. Strange isn't it? If I'm not mistaken, isn't Adele one of those people?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes she is. Her singing voice has quite an American sound to it, but her speaking voice sounds like it has a heavy Liverpool dialect to it (and she talks fast, so it's almost had to understand what she's saying).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've definitely noticed this as well. Strange isn't it? If I'm not mistaken, isn't Adele one of those people?
Yes she is. Her singing voice has quite an American sound to it, but her speaking voice sounds like it has a heavy Liverpool dialect to it (and she talks fast, so it's almost had to understand what she's saying).
Well there you go, the Beatles were from Liverpool too (see my previous comment), lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes. It's interesting, because when HOGAN'S HEROES first went into production, Richard Dawson wanted to avoid giving his character the same-old same-old over exaggerated cockney accent that Americans are used to hearing from British in film and TV, so he tried out a Liverpool accent for Newkirk when they started filming the pilot episode; afterwards, his agent/manager/whoever pulled him aside and asked him about it, and asked if people from Liverpool really talk like that, telling him that people can't understand a word he's saying, and that he need to find a different dialect, so he relented and gave Newkirk a cockney accent.

Shortly thereafter, a friend of Richard's took him to see a new movie that was in theaters, that was such a big hit, that people were lined up blocks long to get in and see: A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, with The Beatles. Looks like people were able to understand Liverpool a little better than some thought. He even brought it to their attention.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yes. It's interesting, because when HOGAN'S HEROES first went into production, Richard Dawson wanted to avoid giving his character the same-old same-old over exaggerated cockney accent that Americans are used to hearing from British in film and TV, so he tried out a Liverpool accent for Newkirk when they started filming the pilot episode; afterwards, his agent/manager/whoever pulled him aside and asked him about it, and asked if people from Liverpool really talk like that, telling him that people can't understand a word he's saying, and that he need to find a different dialect, so he relented and gave Newkirk a cockney accent.

Shortly thereafter, a friend of Richard's took him to see a new movie that was in theaters, that was such a big hit, that people were lined up blocks long to get in and see: A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, with The Beatles. Looks like people were able to understand Liverpool a little better than some thought. He even brought it to their attention.
Oh cool, I didn't know about that, thanks for sharing! Yeah the Beatles were never too hard to understand in their films or interviews. And at the time they definitely broaden the American audience's outlook on the British. I actually saw this really corny '60s teen movie with a bunch of teenagers trying to imitate the Beatles and they used these ridiculous upper class accent going "Cheerio, chap!" Anyone who knows the Beatles know that's completely off the mark, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, you wanna know something really odd? I remember another episode from the show where J. Pat O'Malley had a guest appearance, he was playing a British Intelligence officer, and spoke in a NATURAL British accent, not like what he did voicing Jasper or the Colonel in 101 DALMATIANS, but just a natural British accent.

This was on YouTube, and a bunch of the comments were like, "Why is the British guy speaking with an American accent?" XD Certain accents or dialects are actually hardly noticeable... our very own Mat B. Regard is an example of a Brit whose accent isn't really noticable. Likewise, MOST Canadians sound NOTHING like Americans make them sound.

Now Sarah Palin on the other hand...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This was on YouTube, and a bunch of the comments were like, "Why is the British guy speaking with an American accent?" XD Certain accents or dialects are actually hardly noticeable
Exactly and actually considering the history between our countries I guess we really shouldn't be that surprised.