Questions about anything

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Because schools have dress codes, they want to instill a sense of how to dress appropriately for certain establishments such as a school... I mean, if you were an office worker, you wouldn't walk into the building in a graphic tee, tattered denim shorts, and tennis shoes, would you?
Some middle schools here are actually looking to abolish dress codes. The teachers have complained it's such a time-consuming task to make sure everybody is in uniform, it's easier for them just to let the kids wear regular clothes.

The only restriction we had way back in those ancient 1970's was no shorts. Even if it's June and 100 degrees out, girls could get away with skirts and dresses, but boys in long pants. Almost tempted guys to pull a "Klinger" to get around this one.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Some middle schools here are actually looking to abolish dress codes. The teachers have complained it's such a time-consuming task to make sure everybody is in uniform, it's easier for them just to let the kids wear regular clothes.
Oh, I'm not even talking about schools with uniforms! I wouldn't go to one of those schools - kids have a right to freedom of expression, I'd constantly be out of uniform.

But yeah, regular schools, they try to have kids dress "politely", I guess you could put it: all shirts had to have sleeves (not tank tops or sleeveless tops), shorts and skirts had to come below the knee, you weren't allowed to wear hats unless for medical or religious purposes, no sandals (unless you wore socks with them) or flip flops, etc. etc. etc.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh, I'm not even talking about schools with uniforms! I wouldn't go to one of those schools - kids have a right to freedom of expression, I'd constantly be out of uniform.

But yeah, regular schools, they try to have kids dress "politely", I guess you could put it: all shirts had to have sleeves (not tank tops or sleeveless tops), shorts and skirts had to come below the knee, you weren't allowed to wear hats unless for medical or religious purposes, no sandals (unless you wore socks with them) or flip flops, etc. etc. etc.
::shrugs:: My uniform school never lacked freedom of expression. And in a way it meant more because we didn't rely on clothing trends to be unique. Plus you didn't know who had money and who didn't.

THe only thing I will say is it got ridiculous that we always had to have our shirts tucked in. I mean even with them tucked out we still looked neater than the public school kids, lol.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Because schools have dress codes, they want to instill a sense of how to dress appropriately for certain establishments such as a school... I mean, if you were an office worker, you wouldn't walk into the building in a graphic tee, tattered denim shorts, and tennis shoes, would you?
I have to say the work place is actually becoming more and more casual. People wear jeans and tees all the time even in an office setting. Of course it depends on the office. You just have to get a feel for what's acceptable. If everyone else is casual but you are always in a suit or dress skirt you are the one who looks weird, lol.

Of course for the interview you always dress nicely to give a good first impresion.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
THe only thing I will say is it got ridiculous that we always had to have our shirts tucked in. I mean even with them tucked out we still looked neater than the public school kids, lol.
When I first started middle school, yes, they did make us tuck our shirts in... which I hated, because a tucked-in shirt is NOT a good look for a fat guy, but luckily, by the middle of that first semester, they pretty much stopped telling us to tuck our shirts in, because none of the kids would do it anyway.
Of course for the interview you always dress nicely to give a good first impresion.
I honestly don't get the concept of "first impressions", I mean you practically have to be someone you're NOT in order to impress someone; whatever happened to just being yourself? Granted, that too can cause for concern, ala during a seminar for what would soon be SST, Jim walking in, looking very much like the hippy he was, spooking Joan Ganz Cooney, thinking he's one of those Weathermen terrorists.

Not to mention, eventually, some of these people will come right out and say, "You seem very different from the person I thought you were."

Peoples is peoples.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When I first started middle school, yes, they did make us tuck our shirts in... which I hated, because a tucked-in shirt is NOT a good look for a fat guy, but luckily, by the middle of that first semester, they pretty much stopped telling us to tuck our shirts in, because none of the kids would do it anyway.
Yeah I hear after I graduated they finally stopped worrying about it, lol.

I honestly don't get the concept of "first impressions", I mean you practically have to be someone you're NOT in order to impress someone; whatever happened to just being yourself? Granted, that too can cause for concern, ala during a seminar for what would soon be SST, Jim walking in, looking very much like the hippy he was, spooking Joan Ganz Cooney, thinking he's one of those Weathermen terrorists.

Not to mention, eventually, some of these people will come right out and say, "You seem very different from the person I thought you were."
It's really just to demonstrate you are smart enough to dress well for the interview and you care about getting the job. Once you get the job you have already proven yourself and can relax a little. (Again based on the culture of your particular office).

Clothing shouldn't be your major personality definer anyway.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Clothing shouldn't be your major personality definer anyway.
No, but apparently it is. Personally, I'm not a big fan of formal anyway - I've only worn a suit ONCE in my entire life, but that was because I was attending a formal party anyway (not quite prom), other than that, just about the "dressiest" I ever get is a particularly nicely designed polo (or sweater if it's winter)... then again, I wear polos all the time anyway. I confess I'm something of a metrosexual, but not to the point that obsess over my personal appearance or anything, but rather I at least put effort into dressing myself for the day, rather than just throw something on that isn't dirty... or even just walk out still in my jammies, like a lot of people do today.

It does seem like most of contemporary society is a lot more open-minded about clothing these days: apparently, walking around in jammies in public is socially acceptable, whereas I can remember a time where wearing sweatpants meant you were a "loser". I always wear sweatpants though, but over the years, my mom had me switch from cuffed pant-legs to open-bottom hems, so I would look "more presentable". I hate jeans, they're terribly uncomfortable. So are khakis.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I actually found the most comfortable pair of khakis I have ever had. I forget brand, I think they are just walmart brand but the fabric is really soft and they actually fit me. It's nearly impossible to find pants that fit. Walmart seems to be the only place that sells stuff that fits me :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I get a majority of my clothing from a big and tall catalog.

Luckily, I seem to have dropped a size within the last year, a lot of my older clothes are like wearing panchos. :excited:

misspiggy5260

Reaction score
I tend to wear this one pair of Cookie Monster shorts that are two sizes to big