1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Questions about anything

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by miss kermie, May 8, 2012.

1. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

i dont really consider myself knowledgeable enough to really participate in muppet topics. it's why i tend to avoid that section of the site

besides, say the wrong thing and you get attacked for it

2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Suit yourself.
    I like to think most of the members here are pretty respectful, though.

3. Sgt Floyd

oh i've gotten dogpiled before so i've learned to keep my mouth shut on opinions about the muppets

4. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

We are currently having somewhat of a friendly debate over something down at Happy Tree Fanon Wiki and I wanted to ask if someone could help us out.

What exactly constitutes a Mary Sue character in a fandom. The way we do it on our Wiki is a character that is almost exactly like the other one in theory can be considered that. For example, I personally refrain from referring to my ex-waifu Brushy as a Giggles-sue (for example).

[​IMG]
    Here's why

Similarities to Giggles:

-She's pink and has a bow in her hair.

-She's constantly happy.

-She's become almost infamous for dating other male characters, something that Giggles is known for that have led most fans to jokingly refer to her as a "sl*tty chipmunk" lol.

Differences from Giggles:

-Giggles doesn't have a scarf around her neck.

-She's a fox, not a chipmunk.

-She has a strong interest in cryptids and paranormal activity. Giggles' strong interest is environmental protection.

-She has a tail, Giggles lacking a tail despite being a chipmunk is somewhat of a running joke within the fandom.

Are those several differences enough to keep her from being a Mary Sue or is my definition of the term completely wrong? I'm not the only one on the Wiki who is very confused about this right now and I hope I can find someone here who can help us all set this little "nerd dilemma" straight. Because obviously nobody on the Wiki itself knows the correct answer, otherwise there wouldn't be a serious argument about it if that were the case? Right :p.

5. Sgt Floyd

@Flaky Pudding

batman is the ultimate mary sue

but no what you're talking about is probably more of a recolor

a mary sue is more or less a character who is ideal and perfect that does no wrong, has many talents that they realistically shouldnt have, ect.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It never got dark at 6:00 this winter, like it usually should. Like, at all. What gives?

7. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

Why Batman?

I'm assuming that characters who are literal gods and goddesses don't count as Mary Sues. Because the entire point of creating a deity-like character is making them ultra powerful.

8. Sgt Floyd

honestly if you really think about it, a lot of canon characters are mary sues if you look at them from the perspective of what people complain about in ocs.

and canon characters are just someone's oc after all.

personally i see nothing wrong with a character being a 'mary sue' if the person who created it enjoys it and has fun with it. it might not be my cup of tea but in the end im not being hurt by it.

tbh though, getting an exact definition of a mary sue is like trying to find an exact definition of what a furry is. there is no solid definition and everyone you ask will say something different.

Some people may very well think gods are mary sues

The Count likes this.
  9. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember seeing this Sesame Street promo that appears between the 05:38-05:39 mark of this video?

https://archive.org/details/PBSkids_201812

It has a family in letter A costumes, and they talk about A words such as astronaut I believe. The lady playing the mother looks like a familiar celebrity because it feels like I've seen her in something before but do not know what it was and she mentions at the end about the A list.

Tried looking for some information about this online, but couldn't find anything at all.

10. D'Snowth

Is Disney's ROBIN HOOD really such an underrated movie? I see people always talking about how underrated it is, but I've never gotten that impression . . . I always thought it was really popular, successful, and memorable - I don't know too many people who aren't familiar with it; not to mention all the times it's been released on VHS and/or DVD, and aired on Disney Channel in years past.

11. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

It's certainly the most glaring Disney world omission in Kingdom Hearts, that's for certain.

12. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

It was a flop when it first released, but thanks to the power of VHS, it gained an audience over time. It even allowed viewers to spot all the recycled animation from other Disney films (it was the most blatant example from that time). :D

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  13. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Can someone help me remember the name of a song from a live action/puppet show? It was from one of the Shari Lewis PBS shows (either Lamb Chop's Play Along or Charlie Horse Music Pizza) and believe it was from a Halloween episode.

Don't know the exact title of the song, but I believe it had the word scare in it. Remember seeing it on YouTube years ago, but forgot all about it until now.

14. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Same can also be said for the Black Cauldron.... oh, right. No one remembers that movie.

15. D'Snowth

Do NTSC and PAL apply to audio recordings in a similar manner as they do visual recordings (film and video)? For example, would a song playing on the radio in a European country play 4% faster and sound pitched-up compared to the same song playing on the radio in North America?

16. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

I currently got destroyed by a Windows update yesterday; trackpad scroll got reversed and I can find no fix for it (even talked to a representative and lost them when I restarted my computer -- they said they would email a link back to the chat but nothing), it wants to click on everything I scroll past... totally unbearable. Thank God I also have a Macbook. Hate Windows products. I love when companies change their technology for no reason.

This happen to anyone else? You used to be able to go Settings>Devices>Touchpad and then reverse it, but they of course removed that. Like I literally tried to scroll down this page and it minimized the window.

17. D'Snowth

I don't know about the touchpad, but if the problem is with Windows Update, my advice would be to open your System Restore, and select whichever your most recent restore point is prior to the update, and never install that update again.

This kept happening to me almost on an every other daily basis last spring, when Windows rolled out this "patch update" that was supposed to update all non-10 versions of Windows into some kind of a transitional phase to make updating to 10 easier, but it was pretty much a virtual factory restore of my whole computer, it wiped out almost everything, so I kept having to do a System Restore every time that happened. It took me a while to figure out to hide that update from showing altogether.

18. Sgt Floyd

you know the little triangle icon in the bottom toolbar?
    [​IMG]

click on that

one of the hidden icons might be for your touchpad. if its there, right click on it and click on properties or settings or similar (mine says touchpad properties) and the setting for mine is under gestures

19. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Someone please give me an answer to this as soon as possible: So I got tired of HBO Go not working for me that I tried to find episodes of Sesame Street from the current season on other websites. Unfortunately, I got a couple of viruses from that website. I downloaded Reimage Repair to get rid of them, but I have to pay for it in order to work. Since I don't have a credit card, I asked my dad to help, but he's convinced it's a scam. So is there any other way for me to get rid of these viruses?

20. Sgt Floyd

you really shouldnt be using a computer without virus protection. i mean no program is foolproof but its a lot safer to have it than not

AVG, Avast, and Kaspersky are all highly recommended free virus scanners. they quarantine the virus so that it cant infect your computer, and if possible, remove it. Now personally avast is the only program that I haven't had problems with, or at least no major problems.

also installing adblock can help block viruses that get on your computer through ads.