Questions about Region-Free DVD Players

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
Being one also who possesses a DaeWoo S500 brand DVD player, I'd just like to say that I consider it one of my best investments. I had purchased it on Ebay for a very good price about a year ago and then, as an afterthought, purchased another for when the former breaks. It plays everything - DVD, VCD, you name it. It's a nice feeling to not have to worry anymore about viewing discs from overseas.

~ Sylindebren

That Announcer

Reaction score
I have a DVD player with a region hack and do not have the money to buy a full blown new player. Where can I get a converter (preferrably online) to change picture signals from PAL to NTSC?

PS: Please do not answer with "Play it on your computer." I can do this, but I want to watch my Tintin DVD set on my TV!

anathema

Reaction score
thatannouncer said:
I have a DVD player with a region hack and do not have the money to buy a full blown new player. Where can I get a converter (preferrably online) to change picture signals from PAL to NTSC?

PS: Please do not answer with "Play it on your computer." I can do this, but I want to watch my Tintin DVD set on my TV!
If your player can play R2 discs then it should be outputting an NTSC signal already.

That Announcer

Reaction score
I tried entering the hack into my DVD player, and then putting in a Tintin R2 DVD. It proceeded to turn black and white and press the information into the top half of the screen. Is there any way I can change this? Please help!

anathema

Reaction score
thatannouncer said:
I tried entering the hack into my DVD player, and then putting in a Tintin R2 DVD. It proceeded to turn black and white and press the information into the top half of the screen. Is there any way I can change this? Please help!
Unlikely. It sounds as if your player doesn't support PAL discs.

As an aside, even if your player were outputting a PAL signal, a PAL-to-NTSC converter will almost certainly cost more than a new DVD player.

That Announcer

Reaction score
Yowza! I guess I'll try to get a new DVD region free player from the guys over at Ron's TV and Video.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
I use PowerDVD, which (I think, I haven't tried it, so don't quote me) is a region-free player. Can any1 corroborate this?

BJ

anathema

Reaction score
erniebert1234ss said:
I use PowerDVD, which (I think, I haven't tried it, so don't quote me) is a region-free player. Can any1 corroborate this?

BJ
It is, but your DVD drive probably isn't - it will be set to one region only.

Dantecat

Reaction score
Does Daewoo or Toshiba accept Region0 or PAL DVD's?Because if they do,I'll be happy for that.:excited: