Questions for the pros

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Tonight i had to buy some foam to plug up a dryer vent, but I started fooling around with the rest to make a puppet of my girlfriends dog. So anyway, I have some questions.......

1. Dyeing. What kind of Dye is used to dye the foam? Just regular RIT dye? Or is there a special kind?

2. Eyes. I may go the Muppet, Ping Pong Ball route, but I was also thinking of doing more realistic Animal Eyes (Teddy Bear eyes). Where does one procure such items (at low cost)?

3. Fur. Her dog is a Pomeranian, so I want to get some good fur to use for the rest of the head and the body and arms. Again, the least expensive, the better (though I know this may be the most expensive part of the whole project). Any ideas on where to get it? Preferably sort of longish hair as opposed to short, fozzie type fur.

4. Glue. I have to glue the forehead onto the upper jaw. Can I just use a Hot Glue Gun? Or is there something special I should get.

I will probably have more questions as I progress. I'd LIKE to have it done by Christmas (which is possible cause I have a bunch of time off), but I'm taking my time.

Thanks!

Grant

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
To (hopefully) help answer your questions:

1. We usually use RIT or Tintex dye for foam (RIT is usually better though). Be aware that not all types of foam will take dye well (although most do).

2. A good source for Teddy Bear eyes is Michaels Craft Superstores if you have one in your area. If you don't try shopping online at Michael's Website. Most craft stores, teddy bear/doll making supply stores and even WalMart sells them as well.

3. For shag (long hair) fur supplier check out the list of suppliers in the puppet building section of The Puppetry Homepage.

4. Hot glue usually works, and it's less toxic than Barge or other types of contact cement.

I hope this helps!

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I found some of the stuff I need. Now i just have to find the right kind of dye to match her dog's color.

I went to Micheals and they didn't have a lot of the stuff I needed, but I think that's just because most of the store is dedicated to Christmas right now. I'm off to some fabric stores today to check things out!

Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted on what happens!

Right now, my hand hurts from the scissors.

Grant

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
So....the Foam Book came today. Very informative. I want to order some Sculpt & Coat but I'm wondering...what is it exactly? Is there a generice name for it that I could find something similar at a craft store here and save the shipping time?

Thanks

Grant