Questions we may never know the answer

AmazingMumford

Reaction score
Are there any questions any of you have about classic Sesame Street, but may never know the answer to simply because you weren't born yet in the 70's and/or the answers to your questions were never on Noggin. Here are some of mine.

Was there ever a job when Mr. Hooper was looking for help and David got hired at Hooper's Store, similar to the episode when David hires Gina from 1987?

Was there ever an episode with the opening of the Fix it Shop?

Was there ever a week of episodes from the late 70's early 80's when they redid the fix it shop?

Did Roosevelt Franklin ever star in a show and was part of the street story

Was Kermit ever part of a street story?

What are some questions you all have?

sesameguy

Reaction score
Hi- I know the answer to at least one of these! There was indeed a series of shows that dealt with the construction of the new fix-it shop. It was in the early 1980s. This series was a little bit historic in that this is where Telly Monster became a much more prominent member of the cast. He had already "debuted" as a character, but now he began to be the "worrisome" fellow we know.

In that early Telly skit, Telly stands outside the Fix-it-Shop which is practically covered in a big orange paper sign that says "Closed for alterations." Because it says "closed," Telly thinks no one can go in there, so he can't understand why all the people are walking in and out - he learns of course that they're helping rebuild the store.

This series ends with everyone gathered in the Fix-it-shop to watch a home movie that Olivia made of creation of the shop. When the film ends abruptly, the cast asks where the happy ending is. The lights turn on, and Olivia motions to the inside of the new store and says, "Here's the happy ending!"

AmazingMumford

Reaction score
That is SO COOL!! Iv'e always wondered about this. I wish I could have seen these shows. I'm shocked they weren't on Noggin. I take it theyr'e from very early in Season 12

hooperdusty

Reaction score
As far as David being Hooper's assistant, I think that after the character of Tom was gone (third season), David just got the job.

There's an early show from the fourth season where Hooper catches David studying behind the counter and starts berating him saying, "When I worked at a job, I WORKED!" David gets a little stuffy and tells Hooper that he's reading his college book, studying to be a lawyer, which changes Hooper's mood immediately. In fact, Hooper tells David to take the rest of the day off, and he'll work instead (it was Hooper's day off at the time), calling David, "Mr. Lawyer".

There was a book on education in television that featured this script. No, I do not have the actual episode on video (wish I did!).

HooperDusty

AmazingMumford

Reaction score
The question about Kermit being part of the plot of a show, I have a fuzzy memory on. It seems like I remember an episode in the early 80's when it was Luis's Birthday and Kermit wanted to make Luis a cake, but he had never baked one before, but tried anyways and the cake turned out to be terrible, but Luis didn't want to hurt his feelings. Now I don't know if I dreamed this up or what. But I'm thinking it could have been Telly and not Kermit.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
The only time I saw Kermit on a street story was in the recent hurricane episodes. I think he just stuck to lectures and news flashes. Then again, I wasn't around in the 70s, so I wouldn't know for sure.

SesameMike

Reaction score
A corrolary to this: people and places we've heard about, but have never seen.

-- "Charlie", of Charlie's Restaurant. We do hear one side of Grover's conversations with him, though. Nor have we seen the dog Charlie keeps in or near the kitchen. For instance, when Fat Blue decided he wanted one less egg and one more strip of bacon, Grover could be heard saying, from behind the doors, "I don't know, give it to the dog." presumably in reference to the wasted sunny-side egg.

Curiously, in "Charlie's Angels" we never saw Charlie either, but at least we heard his voice.

-- Bert's Aunt Matilda.

-- Mr. Snuffleuppagas's cave. An abandoned MTA subway tunnel, perhaps? How else can a creature of that size live so inconspicuously in a large city.

hooperdusty

Reaction score
Snuffy's cave

In the "Bedtime Stories and Songs" video there's a clip where Gordon is in Snuffy's cave, plus there was an episode from the late 90s where Maria, Luis and Gabby helped babysit Mr. Snuffleupagus and Alice in the cave as well.

HooperDusty

AmazingMumford

Reaction score
Mr. Snuffleupagus's cave has in fact been seen over the years. I can name off a few times that it's been seen.

In Season 17, (1985-1986) Snuffy convinces Gordon to come to his house for a Sleepover. I can't remember much about this episode but it ends with Gordon sleeping on the floor of Snuffy's Cave with Mr. Snuffleupagus and she he has his snuffle wrapped right around him.

In an episode from Season 21 Gordon is seen in Snuffy's cave with Mrs. Snuffleupagus and he's holding a jar of Chicken Soup that is for Miles cause Miles is sick. Mrs S is making a Big Huge pot of Cabbage Soup for Snuffy cause that's what she gives him when he is sick. They each sing a song about the different kinds of soups and then they sing them at the same time similar to the Breakfast time song with Ernie and Cookie.

In an episode from Season 23 1991-1992 Prarie goes over to spend the day in Snuffy's cave with him. They have Spagetti for lunch and I remember Prarie sucks the Spagetti down all in one string.

There are probably many other times Snuffy's cave was shown on the show. These are the only ones I can remember right off hand. Does anyone else know of any others?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
I know of an episode from Season 20 or 21 where Bob's brother "Minneapolis" (Jeff Goldblum) takes Bob, Big Bird and Snuffy on a quest for "The Golden Cabbage of Snuffertiti." I think they looked in Snuffy's cave ... I'm not sure.