R.I.P. Chuck Barris, game show producer and host of "The Gong Show"

mr3urious

Reaction score
It's funny, I was just thinking of Chuck Barris after hearing of Chuck Berry's death. But now he has died of natural causes at 87, so I kinda feel bad now.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chuck-barris-dead-gong-show-929310

Barris was a real mad scientist when it came to game shows. The Dating Game and The Newlywed Game broke new ground when it came to the industry, but The Gong Show can be considered his magnum opus. An amateur talent competition that was almost entirely taken un-seriously (even by Chuck himself as host), and was even reflected in its ridiculous prizes. The show was also best remembered for the "Popsicle Twins" act, specifically created as a censor decoy to get less risque acts in, but unfortunately for those on the east coast, they made their way to broadcast.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The Gong Show was great, but I especially loved The New Treasure Hunt.
Host Geoff Edwards had a contestant pick one of 30 boxes. Lot of cars, trips, boats, cash prizes ( and some booby prizes called "Clunks") or some lucky lady could win the grand prize of $25,000 (in the 70's, that was the cost of a new house).
Geoff was incredible at stringing contestants along, keeping them in suspense, not knowing whether they won or lost. It was borderline torture, but fascinating to watch.
A contestant might think she won a shopping bag of dog food, but she can put the bag in the trunk of her BRAND NEW CAR!!!!

Chuck Barris was a hustler, but he did make some great TV.