1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

R.I.P. David Langston Smyrl (Mr. Handford)

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by DePingPong, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I found this article on The Hollywood Reporter:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/david-smyrl-dead-mr-handford-878269
    These are really strange (and disturbing). I'm surprised they got away with a pedophile joke, an attempted suicide and a mention of breastfeeding all in one cartoon.

MuppetSpot likes this.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well, again, this is Ralph Bakshi, lol.
    And these are the edited versions . . . apparently the original versions that Bakshi submitted had even more questionable content that they edited out, prompting him to disown both shorts and vow to never work with Cartoon Network again.

3. Pig's Laundry

Ah, I see. So that's what caused him to disown the network.
    Either way, David Smyrl has a great voice.

4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I agree; as I said, listening to him narrate those cartoons, and also hearing his voice in those TCM promos, I really think he could have done movie trailers and such, I think that could have been a real sweet gig for him.

Reading the article and reading about how much he enjoyed being on the show and working with the kids and such, I'm kind of curious as to the reason behind his departure.

5. Pig's Laundry

I've been really curious about that as well. I also wonder why Leonard Jackson left the role.

6. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Oh, so we lost both Mr. Hanford's? I heard about David's passing, but I didn't know about Leonard's. Sad that everyone who previously owned Hooper's store before Alan has passed on. Oh, well. R.I.P. Mr. Smyrl.

You really should finish that story sometime, Snowth. They never really did 'splain on the show what happened to Mr. Hanford. They just happened to say that Alan was the new owner, so it would be nice to hear about what really happened there.

Thanks for sharing, but if we're talking about David here, we might want to watch this one as a tribute:

That's the one I watched the other day when I first heard the news.