R.I.P. David Langston Smyrl (Mr. Handford)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen Leonard Jackson as Mr. Handford, but then again, I was born the same year he was on the show.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen Leonard Jackson as Mr. Handford, but then again, I was born the same year he was on the show.
This is the first episode with Mr. Handford, I believe this is the only episode currently available with Leonard as Handford.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I really liked him on The Cosby Show; I think he played someone trying to sell Denise a lemon of a used car and him and Cliff went back and forth on the price. I think he had one of those careers where he did a lot of bit parts on many TV shows and movies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My response to that can be found here at the 0:52 mark:

I remember this now, I watched it once. Still, David L. Smyrl is the Mr. Handford that I knew.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
To me, it feels like August 23 2012 all over again. Logging in to my Facebook, and being in an absolute state of shock getting the news about one of my favorite childhood actors/performers dying. (The only difference was that I found out about Jerry's death through Muppet Wiki's Facebook page, while Tough Pigs announced David's death...but that's another story.)

Having grown up during the show's Around the Corner era, I have some fond memories of Mr. Handford. I consider him as the Mr. Hooper of the 90's. It's pretty sad to think that we don't know exactly what he did on SS after his departure...until I saw that he's friends with at least Roscoe and Emilio on Facebook. So I was relieved that at that point, he was still alive and well. Like D'Snowth

RIP David L. Smyrl. Even though you haven't been with the Happiest Street In The World in nearly 18 years, you will be missed by any fan of the show that loved you!

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
To me, it feels like August 23 2012 all over again. Logging in to my Facebook, and being in an absolute state of shock getting the news about one of my favorite childhood actors/performers dying. (The only difference was that I found out about Jerry's death through Muppet Wiki's Facebook page, while Tough Pigs announced David's death...but that's another story.)

Having grown up during the show's Around the Corner era, I have some fond memories of Mr. Handford. I consider him as the Mr. Hooper of the 90's. It's pretty sad to think that we don't know exactly what he did on SS after his departure...until I saw that he's friends with at least Roscoe and Emilio on Facebook. So I was relieved that at that point, he was still alive and well. Like D'Snowth

RIP David L. Smyrl. Even though you haven't been with the Happiest Street In The World in nearly 18 years, you will be missed by any fan of the show that loved you!
Well, Before David L. Smyrl took over Mr. Handford, The Late Leonard Jackson was Mr. Handford for Season 21.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Even though I was kind of more familiar with Alan as the runner of Hooper's, I definitely remember David as Mr. Handford. I agree - he had a cheerful, easy-going personality and got along with everybody on the street. David will be missed for sure, but will always be remembered as the Mr. Handford we know. RIP.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was reading some of the public posts people have made on Facebook about this, and saw where one person posted that he's sick that so many cool people are dying lately.

That's exactly what we were saying back in January: this is looking like a really bad year for deaths.

I'll admit that I never really wondered whatever happened to Mr. Handford, and I quickly warmed up to Alan when he took over Hooper's Store, but I do kind of wish that maybe there was an on-screen explanation as to what happened. SW's website simply says he sold Hooper's to Alan.

I remember I once started working on a fanfic that I never even really worked on that had Mr. Handford injuring himself after slipping and falling because of a pipe that leaked water all over the floor, and because of his age and the seriousness of his injury, he was going to have to retire again, thus selling the store to Alan.

Speaking of which, I like the backstory they gave Mr. Handford: that he was a retired firefighter who was tired of being retired.

Oh, here are those two Ralph Bakshi shorts that he narrated . . . though for some reason, this particular print of the first cartoon omit his credit during the end titles for some reason; I have them on tape from Cartoon Cartoon Weekend in 1997, and it retain his credit.