R.I.P. Glen Campbell

mr3urious

Reaction score
Ten-time Grammy-winning country legend Glen Campbell, famous for songs such as "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Galveston", has unfortunately succumbed to the Alzheimers he was diagnosed with six years earlier and passed away at age 81.

Let us remember the fond times he had with Big Bird and Oscar and "Keep On Smilin'". :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Once again, this is someone whom I thought was already dead.

Not being a fan of country music, I'm not too familiar with his repetoire, and in fact, I really only know him for voicing Chanticleer in ROCK-A-DOODLE, where although his Elvis-impersonating singing voice was actually pretty impressive, his voice acting otherwise seemed to be full of Narm Charm.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Once again, this is someone whom I thought was already dead.

Not being a fan of country music, I'm not too familiar with his repetoire, and in fact, I really only know him for voicing Chanticleer in ROCK-A-DOODLE, where although his Elvis-impersonating singing voice was actually pretty impressive, his voice acting otherwise seemed to be full of Narm Charm.
Glen was one of those old-school country singers along with Kenny Rogers, Johnny Cash, and Dolly Parton among others that didn't feel the need to sing about big trucks or plastic drinking cups or anything like that. They had widespread appeal without needing to pander to stereotypes.

Also kinda unfortunate that this is the only time Glen ever interacted with the Muppets. Didn't appear on TMS or even SSt itself; just an album.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Glen played with the Beach Boys for a while, filling in during one of Brian Wilson's freakouts.
"Gentle On My Mind", "Galveston", "By The Time I Get To Phoenix", all great. But "Rhinestone Cowboy " was really my first introduction to him. I was 7 years old, and it might have been my first 45.

Thanks for the tunes, Glen.

Teheheman

Reaction score
It was a shame because, even though we all knew it was coming for a while, it still sucks. He was part of a bunch of session players called the 'Wrecking Crew' which played for a lot of big music stars in the day. His last CD called 'Adios' was actually pretty good. I'm glad I got to see him at CMA Fest, even though you could tell the Alzheimer's was starting to take its toll. He played a couple songs and went to leave, and had to be reminded that he had to keep going and he kept doing this after every song or 2, and nobody booed or was upset cause it was common knowledge that his mind was starting to go because of this.
RIP Rhinestone Cowboy

Daniel

fragglevision

Reaction score
I listen to some of his music regularly ("Wichita Lineman" is one of my favorite songs) but this oddly hasn't hit me as hard as June Foray's passing did. Of course, given the Alzheimer's and the "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" video, I saw his death coming from a mile away. Still sad to see him go, but at least we got one last album out of him. Godspeed.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It was a shame because, even though we all knew it was coming for a while, it still sucks. He was part of a bunch of session players called the 'Wrecking Crew' which played for a lot of big music stars in the day. His last CD called 'Adios' was actually pretty good. I'm glad I got to see him at CMA Fest, even though you could tell the Alzheimer's was starting to take its toll. He played a couple songs and went to leave, and had to be reminded that he had to keep going and he kept doing this after every song or 2, and nobody booed or was upset cause it was common knowledge that his mind was starting to go because of this.
RIP Rhinestone Cowboy

Daniel
Ah yes, the Wrecking Crew. Session musicians (anonymous to the public, but highly regarded in their circles) that played on so many 60's hits.
Basically sidemen for Phil Spector, but also played on hits for the Beach Boys, the Mamas and Papas, the Fifth Dimension, The Byrds, Simon and Garfunkel,
even the Monkees and the Partridge Family.

Basically, the core of the crew was:
Hal Blaine, drums
Carol Kaye, bass
Tommy Tedesco, guitar
Larry Knechtel, Leon Russell, keyboards

Glen was one of them, and the Crew backed him on many of his hits. He was in good company.