R.I.P. Prince (1958-2016)

Schfifty

Reaction score
Wow...I didn't expect this to happen. Just shocking. :cry:

So, what's going to happen to his music now? Will they give in and finally allow it on YouTube?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
We just found out about this. This is so shocking, I can't even right now. So many people have died this year and the year's not even halfway over yet.
This is really sad, i've grown up listening to him because my parents were huge fans of his in the 80s, especially my mother. Currently she is listenining to "Purple Rain" and crying. I'm so sad and in shock right now I really don't know what to say.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That makes me as old as your mother.
1984, next to Michael Jackson, Prince was it. You couldn't turn on the radio or MTV (Get this! They played MUSIC back then! Imagine that!) without "Purple Rain" in your ears.
Great showman, producer, musical Jack of all trades.

The only thing I'm sorry about, once Weird Al wanted to do a spoof of "Raspberry Beret", and Prince refused. For anyone else in the music biz, getting parodied by Weird Al is proof you made it. It's a badge of honor. There's something... awkward... about feeling so precious or possessive of your work that you can't stand anyone having any fun at your expense. Time to lighten up.

That said, there will always be a purple dove in my soul.
Good night, Sweet Prince

scooterfan360

Reaction score
I just woke up from a nap, and heard about this :cry:. how shocking it is to wake up from a nap, and find out that one of your favorite singers has died.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The only thing I'm sorry about, once Weird Al wanted to do a spoof of "Raspberry Beret", and Prince refused. For anyone else in the music biz, getting parodied by Weird Al is proof you made it. It's a badge of honor. There's something... awkward... about feeling so precious or possessive of your work that you can't stand anyone having any fun at your expense. Time to lighten up.
Yeah, something about him always seemed he was a bit full of himself.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
There's an argument to be made that Prince was the most talented rock musician of all time, with his ability to play every major instrument well and write classic songs in a variety of genres. He basically could do anything he set out to do musically, and even if a lot of his released stuff seemed tossed off or deliberately off-putting, there was always that spark somewhere in the mix. His only peers in terms of being able to do everything are Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder and Sly Stone. He'll be missed.

If you haven't ever heard his music, go listen to Purple Rain now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The only thing I'm sorry about, once Weird Al wanted to do a spoof of "Raspberry Beret", and Prince refused. For anyone else in the music biz, getting parodied by Weird Al is proof you made it. It's a badge of honor.
Yeah, I heard that whenever somebody expresses disinterest or declines permission for Weird Al to spoof them, he (or one of his reps) would respond with, "Well, it was good enough for Michael Jackson." That'd be like if a decade or two prior to that, if Allan Sherman spoofed other people's songs and saying, "It was good enough for Elvis Presley."

But gee whiz, this is starting to look more and more like 2008 in terms of celebrity deaths. Remember, that was the year we lost Bernie Mac, Paul Newman, Heath Ledger, Eartha Kitt, Don Fontaine, Bo Diddly, Isaac Hayes, George Carlin, and many others.