Ray Charles dies at 73

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Just popped online & noticed the heading of Ray Charles passing.So,I called my roomate Sean into my room to tell him; he was very distraught to hear about it too. My gosh.My favorite songs of his was Georgia on My Mind & remembering his duet with Kermit singing Bein' Green.God speed & God bless you Ray Charles.RIP. :cry:

sherocks

Reaction score
So sad. He seemed like a good man with a good heart.
I saw this quote on non-Muppet forum & thought I would share it with you...

"Do you remember when he would do those Sesame Street appearances? Those were so great.

He was a musical icon and he will be sorely missed."

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Ray Charles, Gone but Never Forgotten

Grammy-Winning Crooner Ray Charles Dies
Ray Charles, Grammy-Winner Credited With Creating Soul Music With Blend of Gospel and Blues, Dies
The Associated Press

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. June 10, 2004 — Ray Charles, the Grammy-winning crooner credited with creating American soul music with a blend of gospel and blues in such crowd-pleasers as "What'd I Say" and "I Got A Woman" and heartfelt ballads like "Georgia on My Mind," died Thursday. He was 73.

Charles died at 11:35 a.m., surrounded by family and friends, said spokesman Jerry Digney.

Charles last public appearance was alongside Clint Eastwood on April 30, when the city of Los Angeles designated the singers studios an historic landmark.

Blind by age 7 and an orphan at 15, Charles spent his life shattering any notion of musical boundaries and defying easy definition. A gifted pianist and saxophonist, he dabbled in country, jazz, big band and blues, and put his stamp on it all with a deep, warm voice roughened by heartbreak from a hardscrabble childhood in the segregated South.

"His sound was stunning it was the blues, it was R&B, it was gospel, it was swing it was all the stuff I was listening to before that but rolled into one amazing, soulful thing," singer Van Morrison told Rolling Stone magazine in April 2004.

Charles won nine of his 12 Grammy Awards between 1960 and 1966, including the best R&B recording three consecutive years ("Hit the Road Jack," "I Can't Stop Loving You" and "Busted").

----

Ray Charles was a great man, And he brought happiness to many of us when he sung 'Bein Green'. Its one of the most memorable and heart felt moments in Muppet history. Ive put together a tribute to Ray for everyone to enjoy...

http://www.angelfire.com/space/collect/RayCharles.html

Thanks, Mr Charles!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice tribute page Warrick. Thanks for giving out the MP3 of the original performance of "Bein' Green" with Ray and Kermit as well. I'm sure many will enjoy it.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I liked Ray Charles. He had great songs. I only wish today's music industry would actually go back to Ray and others from the 50's and 60's and pick up the style of music. I just love "Hit The Road Jack" and "You Don't Know Me." Great songs. Definitely one of the music icons of the history of music.

ryan

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
I still have an original pressing 45 (1957?) of "Hit the Road Jack" and I will continue to enjoy it in my collection. I've been meaning to find more of his material, although now, unfortunately, it will be harder to track down.

Did anyone know that he always owned all of the rights to his own music? Brilliant if you ask me, considering how black artists were treated in the 50's and early 60's by the establishment.

Super classy guy he was.

There are some great interview/studio clips of him in the movie "Listen Up! The Lives Of Quincy Jones" since the two of them got their start together playing in clubs. If anyone sees this (I recently found it in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for 3 bucks on VHS) I suggest picking it up and enjoying it. There are a lot of late greats on there, in fact, including Miles Davis, Dizzy Gallespie, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, etc. that all worked with Quincy. Remember them all with great respect.

eric

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
That's so sad... May angels fly him safely home and may we always have a lasting memory of him etched upon our hearts.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
So long Ray Charles

While the rest of the country is busy mourning the passing of Ronald Reagan, Ray Charles left us too. Got to sing a bunch of times on Sesame Street and The Muppet Show, especially his touching version of "Bein' Green" with Kermit.

Thanks Ray. Been a pleasure.