Read any good books lately?

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I've read a few of the books in the Women's Murder Club series - Patterson's a good writer, but some of the stuff he writes on is pretty creepy.

Finished "City of Dreaming Books" a while back. It was excellent - both funny and haunting at the same time.

These days, I'm reading "Dinner With Persephone," by Patricia Storace; it's a book of essays on her travels in Greece. It's very well-written. I'm also re-reading "In the Gloaming" by Alice Elliott Dark (good stuff), and I just re-read "Starship Titanic" by Terry Jones.

Pork

Reaction score
I have just finished a book called "The Satan Seller". It's a biography about this guy who gets really into witchcraft but then becomes a christian. Really interesting.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I have been reading "Heavier Than Heaven", it's the offical biography of Kurt Cobain. I has notes that Courtney Love allowed the author to take from her late husband's Journal/artworks etc.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I read "the Death of WCW," it's a great book of a billion dollar wrestling company that could of and should of become the biggest wrestling company of all time and buy the WWF(E) (their rival company) into dust. Sadly, due to people wanting to do what's best for themselves (like Hulk Hogan, for example) and dumb storylines (wrestling writer/booker Vince Russo) the company didn't last with the AOL-Time Warner merger. I've actually read this book at last five times or so, I really enjoy it.

Right now I'm reading "Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography" written by David Michaelis. I'm only on chapter 3 and it's a bit hard to get into but I'm thinking it's going to pick up,:smirk:

Pork

Reaction score
I've recently read

"Hard Times" - Charles Dickens

"The Icarus Hunt" - Timothy Zhan

"Cards on the Table" - Agatha Christie

and I'm just about to start "Nicholas Nickleby" - Charles Dickens

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
I am currently reading "Twilight" for the first time. Yes I am late, but better late than never.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
My mom and I just saw that movie yesterday, and we both loved it! But who is the author? I would have bought one of the books, if I only had a name!
Also, who wrote The Satan Seller? It does sound rather interesting!
Gosh, I used to read books all the time, but these days it's mostly fanfiction. The last book I read was As Nature Made Him, by John Collapinto. It's about a kid who was born a boy, but due to a medical accident, was raised as a girl. It really makes you think and raises all kinds of issues about gender identity.

yetiman

Reaction score
I've recently read

"Hard Times" - Charles Dickens
I'm just about to start "Nicholas Nickleby" - Charles Dickens
I'm glad to see another Dickens fan on the thread! Great Expectations is one of my favorite books of all time.

Currently, I'm working on War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy), which I've been trying to finish for about a year now, and The Guns of August (Barbara Tuchman).

Pork

Reaction score
Also, who wrote The Satan Seller?
You know, I can't remember the name off the top of my head. But after reading it I was intrigued to see what he did later in life...like ministries and stuff So I looked it up on the interenet. Turns out he was a fraud...he'd made a whole lot of it up...or at least exagerated to the extreme. So it's really annoying to know that it's not legit.

There is however another book about a Lady who got real deep into witchcraft and then became a christian. And I know my Mum has looked into it to see if it's legit...and I think she actually knew somebody who'd known her. Not sure though. Anyway, I know we have the book...I think it's called "From Witchcraft to Christ" but I can't find it at the moment.

I'm glad to see another Dickens fan on the thread! Great Expectations is one of my favorite books of all time.

Oooh, Great Expectations is really good. I loved that book. I think my favorite is "Bleak House" though.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score

Currently, I'm working on War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy), which I've been trying to finish for about a year now, and The Guns of August (Barbara Tuchman).
I remember having to slog through Great Expectations back in middle school - I appreciate it a little more now, obviously, but having to read it for school takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Of Tolstoy's full-length works, the only one I've read is Anna Karenina. I've read some of his shorter stories, like The Kreutzer Sonata.

I was thinking about a short story I read for school years ago - had to have been late elementary or early middle school. It was "A Whole Nation and a People" by Harry Mark Petrakis. It's the story of a Greek-American boy who tries so much to blend in with American culture that he joins a group of local boys in vandalizing a Greek grocery shop. He's caught by the gruff old owner and made to pay for his crimes by working in the shop for a few weeks. In doing so, the boy gains a whole new appreciation for Greek foods, and by extension, his ancestry.