Really old Fozzie ... or maybe not?

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
Well, I'm here again with a peculiar auction for what seems to be a Fozzie PVC figure; it's going to close soon, so I'm hoping it'll not be a problem to post it here.

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ANCIENNE-FI...ryZ66568QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

From the looks of it, this figure could indeed be a Fozzie as the auction title claims ... even if the tie is a bit off. It looks distinctively older than even the Schleich set, though and that's rather puzzling. I was thinking that the Schleich figure set was the first ever to appear, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

I already got in touch with the seller to ask if there's any text on the figure but there's none at all, which of course doesn't help to identify it ... :eek:

Do you guys have any idea if this is indeed a genuine Muppets figure and if it belonged in a set?

Ever so much obliged for any and all info ... :halo:

muppetperson

Reaction score
That looks like a knock off to me.They usually had weird colors, like a green hat!

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, Eric ... :smile:

But I keep being bugged by it ... even if it is a knock-off and I do indeed think there's many reasons to assume that (no (c) print on it, funny colouring, the bowtie lacking the large noose), it is a figure that I never saw before in an "official" version ...

I know the Polish bootleg versions of the Schleich set well enough, for instance. They just did a pirate version of the mold and pretty much used any color of plastic to produce the figures, then slapped on even funnier colors on the painted parts. But I know what the originals were ...

In the case of this Fozzie I just don't. I never saw the original figure before ... it must be an "original bootleg" then and that's pretty new to me ... :stick_out_tongue:

muppetperson

Reaction score
Anything is possible.Especially if there is a market for something and nothing has been made officially.Then bootleg stuff can come first.Look at the Muppet replicas before master Replicas.In the early days of The Simpsons, there was no Krusty the clown merchandise, so I got a Homer doll converted.And when Dinosaurs started, there was no Ethyl figure, so I got one made(before Mcdonalds released one!)Back to the Muppet knock offs,I recall also seeing small Kermit key chains.These were usually in sideshow alleys or visiting carnivals.

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
I have come across the Kermit keychains! The prices that were being asked for it were insane too.
The market really has exploded for all things "vintage" these days ... I guess there's just too many nostalgic people out there, craving the decent entertainment from their childhood days ...

I refrained from getting either the Fozzie or the Kermit, though, because they didn't have the copyright on it ... it's tough enough trying to get a collection of licensed items already. I have a LARGE want list at this point ... :hungry:

I just spent 11 EUR on the Schleich Sam the Eagle the other day to complete my Schleich collection ... that's quite enough already, ain't it? ... :attitude: