Really?!? This again? (Talking toys)

mr3urious

Reaction score
Oh yes, yes I am sick of it. These parents really need to see an otologist. :rolleyes:

But at least Mickey D's is standing its ground in this instance.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Is it just me or does this happen mainly to characters that don't speak quite coherently? (Minions, Teletubbies, etc....) It's almost as if parents are PURPOSELY listening to see if they can find something "offensive" in the baby talk.....

Drtooth

Reaction score
But at least Mickey D's is standing its ground in this instance.
I wanna collect as many of them as I possibly can, especially the caveman one. As long as they don't overreact and recall the thing. Save that for actual toys with actual design flaws that are harmful to children.

Is it just me or does this happen mainly to characters that don't speak quite coherently? (Minions, Teletubbies, etc....) It's almost as if parents are PURPOSELY listening to see if they can find something "offensive" in the baby talk.....
To quote an episode of Recess (as best I can remember) "Anyone who finds anything dirty with it probably has a dirty mind themselves." But yeah. Cheap talking toy technology relies on really bad speakers with really badly compressed audio. ANYTHING can translate as "dirty" or even completely illogical when it comes out sounding like Kenny from South Park. Remember the Elmo toy that supposedly told a kid to "rip Elmo's fur out," and it was, like, plastic anyway? And to make matters worse there actually was something wrong with it in the matter of having lead paint all over the darn thing. WOW!

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I was talking about this with a co worker today. Yeah its total bull. The thing is you're going to hear what you want to hear.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think it's less of "what you want to hear" and more of "what you expressly would hate to hear, but hear anyway because making it sound like an evil force is corrupting your child who probably hears worse language than that at school."

Besides. If Minions actually swore, it would be in their weird mix of French, Spanish, Italian, and whatever else random European languages with gibberish thrown in for good measure. Not English.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I never really understood this whole thing about toys "swearing." I mean when you think about it what does a toy company have to gain from it? What benefit would they get out making a usually sweet cute character saying bad things? It's silly.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly. But some parents like to think that they're protecting their kids from everything, and sometimes need to invent a problem at the absence of an easily solvable one.

Still, gibberish nonsense coming out of a cheap 2 cent speaker? Even well articulated words can come out sounding wrong. It's not like you can expect some digital quality true to life stereo sound for that cheap.