1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

recent disney abominations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beaker, Jul 26, 2002.

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

now im sure to some degree we all have a love for disney.
    how could ya not at some level. however, is it me or is the big Diz becoming alarmingly...whats the word, cheap?

case in point, the stomach churning cringe in your seat how could any loving parent take their kid to this 'country bears movie'. they should have people protesting how hideous and lame this looks.

or what about the rash of recent 'cheapquels'. once upon a time in the late 90's disney cared about production values and plot in their sequels. why i loved aladdin 3 king of thieves and lion king 2. but now? it started with little mermaid 2. horrid horrid. this was 2001? animation looked more like 1981. then i rented tarzan 2 the other night, as i loved the first tarzan. wow. to say this was made on a top ramen budget would be an understatement.
    this looks like it was made as a joke by some community college students, and has zero of the fun, excitement, or even 1/1000 of the look of the tarzan 1999 cartoon.

next we have what can only be described as the bottom of the barrel. for some reason peter pan 2 came to theatres, tho it is a definate cheapquel. then we have cinderella 2 and hunchback 2? are parents really this gullible, or this mean to their kids? (then again I didnt find the first hunchback or most of the mid 90's disney contraptions all that innovative or fun)

What's up? disney has had some great sequels. fantasia 2000,
    pinnochio 2 emperor of the night. but these? c'mon. but it gets worse. on the trailer for tarzan 2 was a preview 'for disney's latest animated feature for the whole family'. micket and the house of villians. now i like the saturday morning hsow, its the only new disney animation of classic characters in decades, and inventively brings all the modern and new characters into the same canon. but man...when i saw what this would be, basically new footage of mickey in the house of mouse, but mostly clips of all the villians from 60's and 70's films with their voices dubbed.
    Are kids really this stupid? or Parents? Disney sure thinks so.

So about that Disney buyout of Muppets...these recent examples arent helping their case. However, I will say this...
    disney released the best darn movie IMHO last year(monsters inc.) and are releasing japan's #1 movie ever, the beautifully illustrated anime film spirited away this fall(for folks who think anime is just pokemon)
  2. grail

grail New Member

personally, i've never been for the Muppets being owned by the Mouse...and you've just nailed a big reason as to why...

i REFUSE to watch any of the Diz sequals that came out after Lion King 2, as they're all horrible, horrible, horrible ideas. Disney has no concept of a "good idea" anymore, and i honestly think they lucked out with Lilo and Stitch (i haven't had a chance to see it yet, but i hear it's excellent).

one of the best moves the Mouse ever made was doing business with Pixar. that's the ONLY reason i give Diz any credit...that one took some foresight. Pixar is not Disney, though...and for some reason, i think i heard a rumor that it was Lassater's idea for the Mouse to pick up the distribution rights to all those anime movies...which Disney almost killed when they butchered the release of Princess Mononoke. it's awesome! but it got no press, and quickly became one of the higher priced DVDs on the market. thankfully it's cheaper now...

in short, the Muppets should STAY AWAY from Disney...

Pixar, though...
  3. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Pinocchio 2 Emperor of the Night?
  4. grail

grail New Member

yeah, i hadn't heard about it either, but i felt pretty dumb saying so...

someone care to enlighten us lowly know-nothings?
  5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

>>>personally, i've never been for the Muppets being owned by the Mouse...and you've just nailed a big reason as to why...<<<

well, its hard to imagine people can defend disney's actions in the last year when it comes to 'creativity'. it seems all post lion king 2 sequels must now be the bottom of the barrel quality, but more than that the alarming rate of how many are being released.
    the split on this is disney with emperor's groove finally broke that song and dance save the princess two talking sidekicks and an evil emperor format that was killing them creatively in the 90's.
    little mermaid, well that is what started it. i liked it, but 8 mermaid clones later it was good to see emperor's new groove. and i liked the animation of atlantis.

to me, disney's relaly only creative cred is pixar...but ive been a fan of pixar since i saw those cgi shorts in the late 80's.

oh dont even get me started with how they handled princess mononoke. because of a contract they finally did a limited release, but with zero press. i guess they rather promote thier b*stardized version of high end japanese anime. we'll see how they promote princess mononoke.

so for all those who wonder why we dont like modern disney chinanigans, these above are but the tip of the iceberg.

oh, emperor of the night(pinnochio 2) was this epic, yet very dark sequel miramax put out in 1987 in theatres.
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0093743

of course, if i were to see it today i probably would be less than impressed.
  6. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Pinocchio 2 Emperor of the Night. Disney. Miramax. 1987. OK.
  7. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

Well I *was* looking forward to seeing The Country Bears, that is until I saw a preview for it... ugh! It did seem to have promise a few months ago, though. I mean it includes puppets and is G-rated which is **** rare these days. It does look just awful though, and we won't be seeing it. Lilo and Stitch we did see, however.
  8. grail

grail New Member

heh

the fact that you cursed about something being g-rated is funny to me...

and yeah, when i heard that Christopher Walken was in it i was intrigued...but now...eww...
  9. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

I live for your amusement.

:D
  10. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

hey, so lio and stitch is good? I havent gotten around to it yet, but the style of it seems unique enough. personally im a fan of these 2000+ breakway format animated films from disney(it all started january 1st 2000 with fantastia 2000 and continued with emperor's new groove, atlantis, lilo and stitch, and treasure planet soon)
  11. Bean Bunny

Bean Bunny New Member

Pinocchio 2 Emperor of the Night wasn't done by Disney, it was Filmation, makers of He-Man(oringal) and Fat Abert.
  12. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

I liked Lilo and Stich... ok, so there are things that I would change, but overall, I thought it was very fresh and funny. I laughed, I cried, you know the drill. It really was amusing in places, and I thought the animation was pretty.

Warning to parents though... it is scary for little kids in places. My daughter claimed that she liked it, well, you judge... her comment was, "I didn't very like it". She only liked the surfing scenes, but then again, she is a beach baby, so that might be expected.
  13. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 New Member

Imagine if Disney turned the Muppets into animated characters.
  14. Bean Bunny

Bean Bunny New Member

Imagine Henson turning the Muppets into animated characters, well a second that happened. Muppet Babies and Muppet Monsters.

Disney mostly likey would stick with live-action forms of the Muppets.
  15. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

But imagine, if you DARE, the Disney characters as puppets.

Oh, wait, the Book of Pooh (which uses a very cool form of puppetry). Never mind.

Dumbo's Circus. Pooh Corner. That proposed "Little Mermaid's Island" series. Hmmm...
  16. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Ok, now Im a big modern Pooh fan(ie: 'new adventures of winnie the pooh' circa 1989 to present) but...that 'book of pooh'...oh my gosh that makes me cringe:-&

i guess it kinda worked with wubbulous world, but i just dont see how puppets based on diz would work.

disney is and will always be just 2d toons. its sad to see them try to intergrate pixar characters with disney characters, as one of these days pixar has gotta break free!
  17. kansasteen14

kansasteen14 New Member

do any of you know anything about Disney that doesnt have to do with muppets? first off it is NOT tarzan 2 it is Tarzan and jane it is 3 of the episodes from the animated show tarzan.also Lilo and Sitich is one the BEST Disney movies ever and where do you get Pinocchio 2,I mean if you have read anything Disney you will see no Pinocchio 2 and do you know how many great things Disney could do with the muppets,I mean look at Muppet Vision 3D it is great and Disney had just as much to do with it as Henson and I agree some of the sequels have been cheap but Peter Pan 2 was great.and if you actually went to see the Country bears you would see it is good.
  18. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

>>>do any of you know anything about Disney that doesnt have to do with muppets? first off it is NOT tarzan 2 it is Tarzan and jane it is 3 of the episodes from the animated show tarzan<<<

Actually to correct you; it is being advertised and package as a 'sequel' full length feature...and as far as being episodes of the tv show, I thought that too, but the level of animation on the film is even subpar of even the tv show. It has this very strange herky jerky missing frames thing going on. Basically doesnt even hold a candle to the great original in terms of animation or story.

also Lilo and Sitich is one the BEST Disney movies ever and where do you get Pinocchio 2,I mean if you have read anything Disney you will see no Pinocchio 2 and do you know how many great things Disney could do with the muppets<<<

I havent seen Lilo, so it could be one of those nice surprises like Emperor's new Groove. Secondly, where do I get Pinnochio 2?
    I provided the link to imdb.com for those who never heard of Emperor of the Night. If you recall, there was a Snow White 2 called Snow White 2: Happily Ever after.

And I agree, there are is a lot of great potential in a Disney buyout...so yes, pros and cons.

>>>I agree some of the sequels have been cheap but Peter Pan 2 was great<<<

Well for it being the year 2002 that animation was pretty bad.
    Also, why does Disney need to put out so many cheap sequels?
    It felt like Lion King 2 was the last sequel Disney really wanted to put effort in.

and if you actually went to see the Country bears you would see it is good.<<<

Youre kidding right? PErsonally, this film shoul dbe banned like Disney banned Song of the South(Tho I think they should release Song of the South in the US)
  19. radionate

radionate New Member

Just to clear this up for folks, these aren't Disney Animation Studio products (they are from Disney owned company labels like Filmation). So technically they are Disney, but I don't know how much of a hand Mr. Eisner (as he likes to be called) had in these. There is, however, a plan in the works for Disney Animation to create a Snow White sequal. Walt isn't turning over in his grave, he's spinning!
  20. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

>>>Just to clear this up for folks, these aren't Disney Animation Studio products (they are from Disney owned company labels like Filmation). So technically they are Disney, but I don't know how much of a hand Mr. Eisner <<<

Ture, but at any rate I would wager most Disney fans might not know about the existence of Pinnochio Emperor of the Night, Snow White 2: Happily Ever After or Song of the South(the ONLY film your beloved Disney has made sure never sees th elight of day)