Region 4 Christmas Carol in Widescreen

Reaction score
I live in Chile and ran across a copy of a Region 1 and 4 version of MCC that looks to be the same issue as Region 1 except is says in Widescreen. The audio 5.1 and extras look to be the same. Does anyone have this version or know anything about it before I shell out $20 for a second copy. I think it would be worth it to have it in Widescreen. I saw two copies if anyone is interested (don't know how much shipping would be)

Scott

anathema

Reaction score
It's marked as region 1 *and* region 4? This does not sound like an official release to me. Region 1 is the US, which uses NTSC, and region 4 is Australia, which uses PAL. It is highly unlikely that you'd find a disc flagged up for both regions.

Obviously I haven't seen it so I can't be certain, but if I had to make an informed guess, I'd say that this sounds like a home-brew disc, most probably taken from the US laserdisc release (which is widescreen).

Reaction score
Actually, it is legit and in Widescreen

To my joy, I went ahead and bought the version I mentioned above. It truly is in Widescreen and an official release from Disney Latino. I don't know how to post a pic, but I have a scanned in the jpg of the back if anyone wants to see it.

Almost all of the Disney releases here in Chile are both Region 1 and 4, so I wasn't suspicious of that. I have both the US Region 1 and the new disc I bought right here in front of me. The packaging is very similar (of course one is in Spanish). The discs are very similar with these differences:

1) during the opening menu, Kermit just starts pointing and grunting, but doesn't say anything in English (in other words, it's the backhalf of the R1 version)

2) at the opening of the Humbugs doc, there is no english title, just blank space while Gonzo and Rizzo talk.

3) The song "When Love is Gone" is not in this version of the film.

4) you have the option of choosing english, spanish or portueguese when the disc first loads.

5) the cover is the same but without the red border and it says "Una Navidad con Los Muppets" (A Christmas w/ the Muppets).

Everything else is the same. 5.1 Audio, commentary, Christmas around the world, gag reel. And the transfer looks very good to my eyes. Better than the full screen version. You have the option of using spanish or port. subtitles during the extras and also during the commentary.

So again. I own over 200 DVDs and can tell a bootleg from an official release and this is the real deal. It seems that this is a rare find and I am just happy to have it in glorious widescreen. I did see another copy for sale and would be willing to get it for a collector. (parkersinchile@mac.com)

anathema

Reaction score
I stand corrected :smile: Regions 1 and 4 on the same disc is still a weird mix, though! Is the disc NTSC or PAL?

Nice of Disney to do a widescreen release - I assume this is anamorphic? - but a shame that they grabbed the wrong print *again*!

Reaction score
anathema said:
I stand corrected :smile: Regions 1 and 4 on the same disc is still a weird mix, though! Is the disc NTSC or PAL?

Nice of Disney to do a widescreen release - I assume this is anamorphic? - but a shame that they grabbed the wrong print *again*!
It is NTSC and I believe anamorphic, but alas no When Love Is Gone.

Scott