Reintroducing SST Characters in Season Premieres

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems like the openign scenes in many of the season premieres reintroduced many of the characters. While this seems like a good idea, I wonder if there was really a point to it. After all, as far as I know reruns were still shown daily between the season finale and premiere, so it's not like kids wouldn't have seen the show over the summer and beginning of fall. I don't think the kids would have just stopped watching the show just because there weren't new episodes (and I doubt the parents wouldn't let their kids stop watching until new episodes were on). With so many episodes it's not like the kids would tire of individual episodes (in fact the only case I can think of where something like this caused a show to be canceled was the animated Three Stooges; according to Yesterdaylan the same live-action introductions were repeated in other half-hours, causing the kids to think they were watching a rerun and change the channel).

Most of these reintroductions were cool (the alphabet segment in episode 406, The Count counting lights in episode 666, etc.), but I do wonder why they were needed.