Remember how we were complaining about Muppet Movie Posters?

Drtooth

Reaction score
...and I was all like, "all current movie posters suck?"

Cracked points some out in grave detail.

Using posers over and over in cut and paste is one thing, but they didn't shorten a human's legs to cartoon proportions! Eek! :eek:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Wow, those are bad, and they make the newer Muppets posters look like Renaissance paintings! Those Expendables ones really do look like they came from rejected rom-coms. I mean, at least the first 2 Expendables posters were pretty cool, especially for the 2nd one that really screams big dumb action movie.

I agree that Hollywood is spending way too little on the poster and way too much on other aspects of the marketing nowadays. Shouldn't really cost that much more to do a good old-fashioned illustrated poster like the Drew Struzan days.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The sad thing is, there actually are classic style Captain America posters , but they're for sale, not for actual movie display. All these action movies have the same orange and blue look to them, and while exciting on their own... they blend together and none of them stand out.

The worst part is, the Expendables ones actually look not terrible... the least terrible of the bunch. But I know what they were going for, and it just doesn't work. Playful, old timey, photos... ehhhh... they stand out in the fields of orange and blue with fire, but they look somehow both lazy and self indulgent.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cracked does it again!.

I started with the second page for a reason. To illustrate how kid's movie posters are often the worst of the bunch. I agree. What the heck's up with the "shove character's faces right up in yours" deal? It's moronic.

And that's why we don't have Drew masterpieces for the last 2 Muppet films.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Selfies and Dreamworks faces. What a fantastic combination. :rolleyes:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree with the article. The fact that it's a movie with vikings flying on dragons basically sells itself. Instead of having these guys flying around in an action scene, they just sit there. It's very obvious movie posters are the last thing they think about when marketing a movie these days.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the completely unfair counterpoint, guess which movie has beautifully rendered in ink drawing movie posters?

Bay's Ninja Turtles.

not quite as unfair as Grandma Boy's getting a wonderful retro 70's Animal House inspired poster, but pretty darn close.