Remember that 2002 Fox Network Pitch?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
At one point Kermit says Dr. Teeth and Janice really love each other. I wonder if the writers just mistook Floyd for Dr. Teeth or if that was intentional.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sesame Street has never been in danger because of PBS.
No, SST was never in danger because of PBS, HOWEVER, PBS HAS been in danger before, several times, with all these radical, right-wing nutjob politicians trying to ax it.
Dwayne said:
So maybe NBC could be an ok home for a Muppet show.
Considering at the time, NBC adored THE OFFICE, and kept wanting more carbon copies of THE OFFICE, that potential 2006-2007 series that Disney shelved could have possibly worked on NBC, considering it was supposed to be a mashup of the Muppets and THE OFFICE.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I do think that Sesame was in a little bit of trouble when Jim Henson started working with Disney. Disney wanted to add Sesame to the deal, but Jim and everyone at the then CTW knew that would be bad. Sesame was really one of the main deal breakers back in the 90's and now I can see why.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That, and Jim was trying to make a deal with Satan's twin brother, ugh, I mean Michael Eisner...

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
That, and Jim was trying to make a deal with Satan's twin brother, ugh, I mean Michael Eisner...

Thing was, Michael Eisner was a major Muppet fanatic. You should see some of those plans they had for Disney World back then.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering at the time, NBC adored THE OFFICE, and kept wanting more carbon copies of THE OFFICE, that potential 2006-2007 series that Disney shelved could have possibly worked on NBC, considering it was supposed to be a mashup of the Muppets and THE OFFICE.
Personally, I'm more annoyed (almost offended) by the fact that NBC was struggling in the 80's and even then wouldn't give JHH the time of day considering some of the turds they greenlit. They gave them that movie and that hacked up for commercials TV special. I mean, seriously... I'm surprised the DVD revealed the runtime wasn't 6 minutes with 54 minutes of commercials. But other than that, NBC doesn't know what the heck they're doing now... they never did, except for when Seinfeld was on the air like 3rd season when they came up with Must See TV Thursdays.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Thing was, Michael Eisner was a major Muppet fanatic. You should see some of those plans they had for Disney World back then.
Yes, and he was also a big support of Sid & Marty Krofft, and helped greenlit a lot of their shows, specials, and other projects.

Yet still, he was very smug, sneaky, and coniving man to do business with.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eisner did some good things, and some very not so good things, especially at the end of his career with Disney. he helped them greenlight the 2 TV "special" pilots, but never picked them up.

Even before Henson's death and the rise of the Tickle Me stuff, Eisner realized that he could make a crapload more money with Elmo than he could with Kermit. That's why the deal fell through and why everything was sour after that.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
Much like everyone else i'm quite glad this never was picked up. While i'd like to see a new muppet show this definitely not the way forward. I'm guessing this was back when the muppets were trying to be hip an cool for the younger generation with things like references to Tony Hawk and having Eminem as a guest ,the whole fozzie sketch. Heck when reading this I thought Rodger Lodge was a character they made up only to find out he was a real person. Granted I did notice some classic characters names mentioned( Sweetums, Lew,Link, Strangepork,Robin, The Band) and scooter and sam having quite main roles. But in my honest opinion this was quite cringe worthy FOX doesn't seem like the right place for our fuzzy friends anyway.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I must admit, it was pretty amusing imagining Sam the Eagle in a rap battle with Eminem. :big_grin: