1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Oscarfan, Aug 23, 2012.

1. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

Who cares? They're all awesome! :excited:
    By the way, thank you Colette for bringing the smaller pic to us! Better than not at all, that's for sure!
    And Mo, I did specifically credited you earlier.
  2. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

3. FrackleFan2012

Maybe, it's because Phillip made the original picture as his avatar and that's why a smaller copy was made.
  4. catherine

catherine Active Member

aww they are a wonderful collection. was that an oyxgen tube, jerry had? bless him. I love that little picture of robin and the other two.
  5. FrackleFan2012

Yes. That was an oxygen tank. Jerry Nelson needed that to assist his breathing.
  6. catherine

catherine Active Member

thanks for posting up all those wonderful pictures, they certainly are something special.
  7. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

Uh...this might sound weird, but somehow, I can't stop thinking that those tubes look like an anteater's tongue! :zany: It's been months, and I still can't unprogram it from my head!
  8. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

I was watching Nightly News on NBC in late August when Brian Williams said, "Coming up...a sad day on one of the world's most beloved Streets." I said to my parents, "I hope one of the puppeteers didn't die. I hope it's not Caroll Spinney. What if it's...Jerry?"

My parents did not respond. But we were all completely silent when Mr. Williams announced that indeed, Jerry Nelson had died that day at the age of 78. I was very sad and watched mournfully as they showed clips of The Count, Snuffy, Herry & John-John, and showed photos of Jerry performing Floyd and Gobo. My parents knew how much the Muppets meant to me. I had a hard time sleeping that night.

More than two months later, we still haven't fully recovered because Jerry was such a key part of our childhoods for over 40 years. I mean, who else could have performed characters ranging from Simon Soundman and Biff to Pops, Miss Mousey, and Scred?

"It'll never be the same here without him. But you know something? we can all be very happy that we had a chance to be with him, and to know him, and to love him a lot...when he was here." (Bob, Sesame Street Episode 1839: Mr. Hooper's Death)

RIP Jerry Nelson :batty: :search: :smirk: :sing::fishy::crazy: we could always count on you...
    Walter, Collgoff, Hubert and 2 others like this.
  9. FrackleFan2012

You did a very good job on this review.
    Walter likes this.
  10. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Aw thanks FrackleFan2012. I feel all warm inside now...:D:flirt:
    Walter and FrackleFan2012 like this.
  11. FrackleFan2012

No problem, Cjd874.
  12. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Right now, I am coming up with a story of Gobo before Uncle Matt went to Outer Space, and there will be parts that may sound silly, but probably as true as I can get. Right now, I am going to do the background of Gobo from birth to a young teen fraggle with lots of purple (LOL!) you know the kind of hair you see in the first season of FR.
  13. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

This thread is meant to be about remembering Jerry Nelson, not talking about other Muppets and other stuff, hence the name "Remembering Jerry Nelson."
    theSHE124 likes this.
  14. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. Speaking of which, let's stop talking about post deletion and start remembering some more.
  15. FrackleFan2012

Agreed.
    theSHE124 likes this.
  16. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

I did a YouTube Poop of "A Muppet Family Christmas" in memory of Jerry Nelson, too (in addition to that tribute in August.)

You guys are getting a special unlisted preview of it. It's going public this Friday (in honor of Black Friday.)
    Walter and FrackleFan2012 like this.
  17. muppetfan24/7

This is for everyone, and yes it's true that is the first year with out Jerry Nelson around. Includes, "Together at Christmas" which was first used in Henson's TV special, "The Christmas Toy."

18. Skye

Skye Active Member

I still haven't watched anything of the Muppets' since the news of Jerry's passing. I have listened to songs, however. That was something that always killed me about Jerry. Not just his fantastic voice work and his indescribably amazing range with character voices, but his singing. His beautifully melodic singing voice, his flawless harmonies... always blew me away, left me in awe, and I would lose myself in the beauty of it all. Let the music take me away.

Pretty soon, though, I know that I will watch The Muppet Christmas Carol just as I do every year. I love that movie. This time, though, instead of watching it and just missing Jim and Richard, I will be missing Jerry as well.

Love you and will miss you always, Jerry. Thank you for everything.
  19. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

I miss Jerry too. I came very close to actually crying when I heard about his passing because he and I used to share private messages for a brief while here. I figured he must have left MC primarily because of his health problems but I always hoped one day he would feel like reactivating his membership so we could chat some more. And now that never will happen.:cry:

Good-bye Jerry. Thank you for being a friend to me. You will always be remembered.:(

:sing::fishy::crazy::search::batty::smirk:
  20. muppetfan24/7

Even though we all still miss Jerry, I love his voice. There was always something about his singing voice no matter what Muppet he did gave me the goosebumps. Whe I was very young, I started listeing to the song, "When the River Meets The Sea." Now, I really appreciate not only his acting, but his singing voice as well.
    FrackleFan2012 likes this.