1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Remembering Jim Henson, 25 years after May 16, 1990

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Phillip, May 16, 2015.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

It's hard to believe that it has been 25 years since Jim's passing on May 16, 1990. Like many of you, we'll never forget that day. Share your memories of May 16, 1990 and the impact Jim Henson continues to have on your life.

In honor of Jim, we're playing Jim Henson's most beloved songs on Muppet Central Radio on Live365 and Radio Terra. You can read our Jim Henson tributes for many stories from the days and weeks after Jim Henson's passing. Our "Remembering Jim Henson" menu designed by Jamie is also now on our home page.

Join us in celebrating his legacy that will live on for generations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I remember how super into/excited I was with the Jim Henson Hour and the upcoming Muppet Vision 3d, and like that....Jim was gone. I remember being 12 crying my eyes out at hearing how the closest thing to any icon I had known had passed out. 25 years later it still stings. Yet I can't help but feel his gentle visionary creative spirit would be smiling at this unique period of time we're heading into. So here's to you Jim!

Phillip likes this.
  3. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

LeahXZoot4Evur likes this.
  4. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I just finished watching MTM and when they started singing "Saying Goodbye" I sang it as if I where singing it to Jim.

theSHE124, WalterLinz and Phillip like this.
  5. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

I wasn't even born til six years after Jim passed away, and yet it still hurts sometimes. It's amazing how simply reading about a person can lead to them becoming a huge part of your life. Jim's become a part of my family- a kind of shadow that lingers over my shoulder whom I can listen to when I'm troubled about one thing or another.

I remember saying in another thread that if the Muppets could survive in a world that's steadily getting more rough, then both Jim and I will be at peace. I still stand by that everyday.

My family and friends never understand why I willingly love such "childish" characters. The truth is that it was never the characters that pulled me in- it was Jim. It was Jim and the puppeteers, puppet builders, writers, composers and staff that he moulded into a family. It was that kindness and love which nobody ever had to tell me was there, and is still flowing through each and every Muppet fan to this day.

Jim feared that he wouldn't get to accomplish everything he wanted to and perhaps he didn't. I don't see it that way though. Just consider all of the people he has inspired to create new and marvellous wonders. Think about all the current stars of comedy who cut their teeth on his sense of humour. Just look at us! We wouldn't even acknowledge each other's existence without Jim and yet here we are, a family of Muppets in our own right! Jim never completely died on May 16th, 1990. All of us are filling in for him and will continue to do so for generations to come.

So will I cry for Jim today? Yes I will. Will I smile and laugh off the sadness? Of course I will.

Will I remember him? Always.

6. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Look at this fantastic video Terry Angus @ButchCat himself posted:

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  7. SpookyMania

SpookyMania Member

Jim Henson passed away a year before I was born. My parents raised me on all of his works--starting with Sesame Street, then Fraggle Rock, moving me up to the Muppet movies, then Dinosaurs, and more. The Christmas Toy was annual viewing in my house, as was our VHS tape of Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. We even had season passes to Sesame Place since it was just a half an hour away. And even though I knew Jim Henson was dead, that didn't matter to me. I felt happy to know that he had left behind all this incredible work.

Now that I'm older, I know more about the Muppets, how they work and the people that brought them to life. But I can't help but feel a little bit sadder about how early Jim Henson passed away. He's one of my heroes. A constant inspiration to me. I would've loved to have gotten the chance to shake his hand and just thank him. Thank him for the hours of entertainment; the laughs, the tears, the family moments. All of that stuff is important and I think Jim would be happy to know his characters are still doing that.

Even though Jim Henson is gone, his legacy will never disappear. There's a quote from the Twilight Zone episode "A Game of Pool" that goes, "As long as people talk about you, you don't really die. As long as people speak your name, you continue. The legend doesn't die because the man does." That's Jim. Immortal in his own right. And I can't thank him enough.

BertsNose, theSHE124 and Phillip like this.
  8. dwayne1115

Well I just finished watching Jim's memorial that was posted above. Sure I have seen clips of it here and there, but never have I sat through the whole thing. Afterwards I must say that I feel some what better about Jim's passing. Being able to hear Jim's family and friends share the good times, and the sad times some how helped me with grieve his death. The part that helped me the most where seeing and hearing Jim's wife, and kids speak about him in such loving way. If you have never watched it all the way through I highly recommend doing so. It will move you in a mighty way!

WalterLinz likes this.
  9. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Well-Known Member

I was 13 when Jim died, in eighth grade. I'll never forget hearing the news report on the radio in my dad's car. It hit me like a punch to the stomach. It was like a wizard had died. Like losing Gandalf, or Obi Wan. It still is, sometimes.

But today I was wearing an Ernie t-shirt, completely oblivious to it being the anniversary of Jim's death. I saw a woman in public wearing a Bert t-shirt. We high-fived. Millions of people happy is a great legacy.

Thank you always, Jim. The impact you've had in my life is immeasurable.

dwayne1115 and theSHE124 like this.
  10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

At that age, I would have been too young to have a grasp or concept of anything, but I consider myself at least lucky enough to have been alive for nearly a year while Jim was still living. In fact, IIRC, I don't believe I was even aware he was dead until MTI came out: by that time, I was old enough to go see movies, and I had already been familiar with the earlier Muppet movies and such to understand who Jim was.

11. WalterLinz

WalterLinz Well-Known Member

Since I was born way after Jim's death, I didn't really experience anything Jim was part of then, growing up watching "Elmofied" Sesame Street and my VHS tape of Muppet Classic Theater. I don't remember when, but it wasn't until I later watched The Muppet Movie that I really knew who Jim was. This man never ceases to inspire me, amaze me with his creativity, and, of course, make me feel entertained and happy.

I can't think of what else to say, but I just want to thank him for creating such a legacy and keeping audiences entertained for decades, and the same goes up to this day. Go ahead and disagree with me, but I think Jim will be so pleased to see how well Disney's currently doing with The Muppets. Sigh...he did make the world a better place for having him being here.

12. dwayne1115

I think your right WalterLinz about how he would be happy with what the Muppets are doing.

I don't know if it's just me being of a simple mind, or just not really understanding the magnitude of the work of Jim Henson and the Muppets, but I have been thinking about the Muppet fandom as a whole. It amazes me that the Muppets have such a huge and world wide fan base. There message of love, respect, and acceptance have reached so many people, and not just here in the US, but all over the world. Sometimes I think that I'm the only Muppet/Henson fan out there, but that is honestly not the case. People all over the world love Jim and the Muppets, and to me it makes me more proud to be a fan of something so much bigger then I ever really realized. After watching Jim's memorial I finally understood what has drawn me to The Muppets all these years, and what keeps me as such a loyal fan. It's the heart, the love that Jim and everyone involved with the Muppets past, present, and future have given the Muppets. Because of Jim and his passion, and his always wanting to do more, and be better it makes me want to do the same thing in my own life.

13. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

I was only 8 years old. It seems like it was just yesterday that I heard about it. I really wasn't that much aware of it till I saw the news reels about on Entertainment News. I buried something in my very backyard beyond the wire fence (where my dad built a building for his Taxidermy) now it's under concert.

Someone had gave me a whole new artcle about Jim and that's where it is. I would love to see it again or even scan it and upload it here but can't.

But it wasn't till a few day later when I saw the special that I started crying. It was sad but very entertaining enough to keep me from tearing up to much.

But I sure due love that man. He has brought out the kindness and imagination in me through out my years. And here's to more New Muppet stuff on the way.

theSHE124 likes this.
  14. MUPPETFAN1976

MUPPETFAN1976 Active Member

Jim wasn't an ordinary Muppet performer. Jim was a legend at puppetry. He was the best at puppets and no one can argue that. I wasn't born until 10 years after Jim's death so I never got to know him, but I know in my heart that he is with me, and he with you too in your heart even if it up in the big house with Shari Lewis who died in 1998. Jim will always be in millions of peoples hearts. When I sing Rainbow Connection, I think of Jim. When I sing Bein' Green, I think of Jim. Basically any song performed by Jim when I'm alone, I think of him. Jim was different from any other puppet performer, he was a legend and we will never forget that.

“Someday we'll find it, that rainbow connection,
    the lovers the dreamers and me.” - Jim Henson (1979)

[​IMG]

theSHE124 and dwayne1115 like this.
  15. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

I was 22 when he died, a week before my college graduation. I grew up watching Sesame Street, TMS, and Fraggle Rock when they were all brand-new. But his death made me feel all that happiness he gave, all the love he created, all the trappings of
    childhood- you gotta give it all up and grow up now. That depressed me more than his death.
    Luckily I found as an adult I didn't have to give up anything. The seeds that Jim planted in me when I was little took root and in my own way, I found ways to create, express myself artistically, and love life just like he did.

Knowing how much he left behind, how he managed to inspire so many, it's hard to feel sad. You can't leave the magic, once it gets into your heart.

Thank you for a lifetime of wonder, Jim. You still rock. :)

16. Luke kun

Luke kun Well-Known Member

Without Jim there would be no Crack Master. :):laugh:

Jim and the SS cartoon character "Tara Suzizi" inspired me. The former to laugh, and the latter to use your imagination. :fanatic:

R.I.P Jim. :(

theSHE124 and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  17. Harleena

Harleena Well-Known Member

He may have died before I was born, but I still miss him. He inspires me to follow my dreams even if people say they're impossible.

theSHE124 likes this.