1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Remembering John Henson

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by cahuenga, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Daffyfan4ever

Daffyfan4ever Well-Known Member

I agree. While you're in the 40s you're still relatively young. (Kind of worries me because I'm in my 30s.) That is quite sad. Anyway, the most memorable John Henson moment I can think of was his appearance as Sweetums in "Muppet Treasure Island" where he was thought to be the bad guy, but he ended up saving the crew.

theSHE124 likes this.
  2. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

While watching world news on ABC on 2/16/14 I saw the news index and they were had a quick report on John Henson's death and how he was trying to keep the muppets alive. Though I am sad to see him die at least he left enough a mark to be on the news, and later that day I saw Jim Henson trending on Yahoo and he was #7, WOW!

theSHE124 likes this.
  3. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Here is a tribute picture made by Eric Henderson.
    [​IMG]

4. MartyMuppets

MartyMuppets Well-Known Member

Tragic news indeed. RIP John. :cry::cry::cry:

My deepest condolences to the Muppet family.

theSHE124 likes this.
  5. JonnyBMuppetMan

JonnyBMuppetMan Well-Known Member

Here's a statement from the Muppets Facebook:

"John Henson, son of Muppet creator Jim Henson, passed away this week. Many of us who work with the Muppets knew John as a friend and a performer. His passing is a shock and a terrible loss. Like his father, John brought incredible optimism to everything he did. He pursued his dreams with great passion. Jim Henson once said, “It’s a good life. Enjoy it.” John enjoyed life—and we enjoyed life more because of him. We will miss him deeply.
    The Muppets Studios, The Walt Disney Company and all who strive every day to keep alive the magic of the Muppets offer our heartfelt sympathy to his wife and children and the entire Henson family."

6. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Wonderful. I'm so glad Disney released a statement - shows they care.

7. FrackleFan2012

What a great statement from Disney and the Muppets Studio.
    Well done for them.

DrDientes and theSHE124 like this.
  8. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

They do care!!!

theSHE124 likes this.
  9. FrackleFan2012

Here's a colored version of the tribute pic made by JonnyBCartoonMan.
    [​IMG]

10. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Awwww, poor Sweetums! Such a sad picture, and such sad news. RIP John Henson.

Chopped Liver and MartyMuppets like this.
  11. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Aw I did not realize that Robin was in that picture. I think the Sweetums and Robin relationship is so cool.

LaniArianna likes this.
  12. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

I'll always remember John from way back when, on the Sesame Street Baker film, showing us his "One belly button".

13. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

Such a shame. I always thought he was excellent as Sweetums! I was disappointed he stopped performing as him after Muppets Wizard of Oz.

RIP

14. Chopped Liver

Chopped Liver Active Member

How did he die? I heard he had a heart attack while making an igloo with his kids. :(

15. Cookie Chris

Cookie Chris Well-Known Member

Yes, John died from a massive heart attack after playing in the snow with his daughter according to the source below.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/article/john-henson-son-of-muppets-creator-jim-henson-is-dead-at-48

theSHE124 likes this.
  16. JimmyDeanDog

JimmyDeanDog Well-Known Member

Here's John when he was only 4 -​
    featured in a Sesame Street 1969 segment 'Numbers Song'​

(at 1:04 with the bells)

MartyMuppets and theSHE124 like this.
  17. Chopped Liver

Chopped Liver Active Member

He also made an appearance on Sesame Street as an adult :D

18. Therecanbonly1

Therecanbonly1 Active Member

Anybody know how his passing did NOT make it to the front page of Muppetcentral.com? I literally just found out about this today by accident! (I found an old issue of Entertainment Weekly and saw it in the Death Notices section... The last thing on the home page is about the Toyota commercial during the Super Bowl! I think most of you would agree that this is a bit more important to most Muppet fans! It is especially bad since it also did not make it into the dedication at the end of Muppets Most Wanted....

Chopped Liver and theSHE124 like this.