Remembering Matt Robinson: August 5, 2002

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Matt Robinson, a writer for the 1980s sitcom "The Cosby Show" and the first actor to play kindly neighbor Gordon on the children's show "Sesame Street," died in his sleep Monday after a 20-year struggle with Parkinson's disease. He was 65.

Robinson began his show-business career in 1963 as a writer, producer and on-air talent at TV station WCAU in Philadelphia.

In 1969, he took the role of Gordon on the PBS children's program "Sesame Street" and also performed the voice of purple-faced puppet Roosevelt Franklin. Robinson remained with the show until 1971.

Robinson went on to produce and write the films "Save The Children" (1973) and "Amazing Grace" (1974). He also wrote several plays.

As a television writer, he penned scripts for "Sanford and Son" and "Eight is Enough."

He joined with fellow Philadelphia native Bill Cosby in 1983 as a staff writer and producer for the comedian's NBC family sitcom "The Cosby Show."

Though impaired muscle coordination from his Parkinson's disorder made work difficult at times, Robinson remained with the show for seven seasons.

Courtesy of Yahoo News

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020806/ap_on_re_us/deaths_4

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Hi,

Atleast we got to see some Great times with him on Sesame Street !

Thanks Matt !

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
I wasn't born yet when Matt Robinson played Gordon, but I have seen him on Noggin reruns and he was VERY cool. I wonder if Sesame Street will do something to remember him. It's only fair, seeing as how he *was* a member of the original cast. He was probably also responsible for Dr. Cosby's long association with the show (i.e. his appearances on the show in its early years and hosting the 20th anniversary special).

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Sad news. At least it sounds like he went peacefully. A very talented individual who will be missed.

While I'm sure Sesame Workshop will remember him in their own way, I don't think it would be appropriate to do something on the show. The kids watching today would not know him and would be confused. Sesame is always so careful to do what is good for kids, I just can't see it. Doesn't mean he isn't remembered as a valuable part of the show's history.

tomahawk

Reaction score
goodbye friends

first i hear about chick hearn and now matt robinson. may you both rest in peace.

dvakman

Reaction score
We'll miss You, Matt

I didn't grow up with you, but after seeing SS Unpaved, I thought that you were perhaps the best Gordon of them all. You won't be forgotten.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
This is sad news and the irony of it is, I just saw the first episode of Sesame Street for the first time last weekend at the Museum of Television and Radio in NYC and I enjoyed Matt Robinson. He wasn't on when I started watching the show I'm only 24 but I know he was beloved by those who did grow up with his portrayal of Gordon. I'm always just bummed in general when someone associated with the Muppet legacy passes on. We've lost so many wonderful people so far. :frown: w/b/s Melissa

Jackie

Reaction score
I saw him on Noggin, and I'm glad i got to know the very first Gordon. :smile:

zns

Reaction score
Sesame Street, one of my favorite childhood memories

This is pretty tragic. The only clip I saw Matt on was the first episode of sesame street, which was when him and the little girl ran into Big Bird. I've never seen many of his Roosevelt Franklin skits (or poems and songs).

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Sad news...

We'll miss you!

What makes it worse is, I knew he was very sick with Parkinson's, and he wouldn't be around much longer. His daughter, actress Holly Robinson Peete, along with her husband (NFL quarterback Rodney Peete) support the causes for finding a cure for Parkinson's.

- Billy :cool: