Remembering Richard Hunt

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Too true. Sometimes I wonder what Richard would have gone on to accomplish had he not died at 40. Maybe he would have been next in line to direct a Muppet movie, perhaps?

But during the 40 years he was on this Earth, he sure accomplished a heck of a lot...like making millions of people around the globe smile.

Frogster

Reaction score
He was a genuine spirit, and he always put his share of talent in. He was just amazing, and he brought such life into his work.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The muppet trily can and will not ever be the same without the talents of Richard Hunt. His absense is felt as much as his presense was. There's no choice but to miss this great talent and give to this earth! I know that I miss him.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Just wanted to bump this thread up, since today is the 16th anniversary of Richard Hunt's passing.

Recently I was able to see an issue of Entertainment Weekly from November 1992. In the News & Notes section was a feature entitled, "1992 - The Faces of AIDS." Due to the shocking number of deaths between Dec 1991 and September 1992, Entertainment Weekly and other groups were inspired to pay tribute to the enormous amount of talent the entertainment world was losing. What follows is 5 pages of photos and short bios of AIDS victims that year. Richard is included, his bio reads, "A puppeteer with Jim Henson Productions known for his work on The Muppet Show and Sesame Street."

I also wanted to share the introduction to the tribute Entertainment Weekly put together. Written by Greg Kilday, reported by Sharon Isaak, Lisa Botos, Polly Matthews:

"Even when AIDS claims the famous, the deaths no longer automatically command headlines. The disease has become so frighteningly commonplace in the world of entertainment that AIDS obituaries now crowd pages in the trade papers, and surivors gather with numbing regularity at memorial services. To observe the fourth annual Day Without Art on Dec. 1, which coincides with the World Health Organization's World AIDS Day, thousands of museums around the world will remove or cover their artwork; many will present AIDS-awareness programs in place of art. Many performances at cultural centers across the country will be delayed for a moment of silence. At least six cities--New York, Miami, Chicago, Austin, Tex., San Francisco, and Fort Wayne, Ind.--will dim their skylines from 7:45 to 8pm. From December 1991 to September 1992 (the latest figures available from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention/National Center for Health Statistics), AIDS claimed another 16,503 American lives. As it did last year, Entertainment Weekly marks the Day Without Art with a tribute to those performers and artists who have died of the disease in the past year. We have tried to be comprehensive, but we're sure the toll is even higher than we know. More than any words could, the faces on the following pages offer stark testimony to how much the epidemic has cost the entertaiment world."

That is certainly a humbling article, to say the least. And a valuable piece of history. But I don't want this thread to be too upsetting. Richard's favorite flower was the Peonies, which have been described as "wild and perfect for a moment, until they are nothing, forever." It certainly reminds me of a certain Muppet performer and how precious and rare the things we love can be.

Of course, I don't believe the Peonies (or the people who love them) ever really go away. As the philosopher Seneca once said, "The day which we fear as our last, is but the birthday of our eternity." :wink:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
You know, I did see that article while I was scanning the web sometime back. It's very haunting; I mean, the numbers alone will tell you that AIDS has cut quite a swath through people's lives...but to look at the names, and the lives, of those who were affected - that shows you just how great the loss is.

Very true, heralde, the peonies never go away - in fact, this weekend we noticed that the peonies in our front yard are starting to produce their first buds. And by the same token, Richard's still making us laugh today, even if he's long since departed for heaven.

As Horatio said in the final act of Hamlet, "Good night, sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

But wait...Richard's already up there, of course.

wiley207

Reaction score
I loved Richard Hunt's performance in "Letter B." It was his best song he ever sang.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh I adore "Letter B"! It's so soothing and adorable, lol. I also like Richard singing "Thinking of U" (also with the Sesame Street Beetles). :big_grin:

Glad you liked the article, MN!

And don't forget about Richard's Find a Grave site:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8600308

And um, ok, this is slightly embarrassing, lol, but I kinda made an entry in my blog today. If anyone has time, please take a look:

http://herald7.wordpress.com/

Also, I will recommend Richard fans listen to this week's Muppetcast. Steve interviewed Jocelyn Stevenson, who spoke warmly of Richard. :wink:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
When i think of Richard i always think of him on Sesame Street. I always loved Forgetful Jones so much because i think sometimes everyone is forgetfull. I really miss seeing Forgetfull and all the other muppets Richard did on Sesame Street.
I also have to say that Sweeteums is my all time fav, i will always remebere you Richard you seemed like a person i would have loved to spend time with.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I really miss seeing Forgetfull and all the other muppets Richard did on Sesame Street.
I also have to say that Sweeteums is my all time fav, i will always remebere you Richard you seemed like a person i would have loved to spend time with.
Very true, that's why I'm relieved the new Sesame Street video website has a few Forgetful Jones sketches as well as other Richard characters. I regretted that the show itself had basically cut out any mention of his characters, due to the format change.

Did you see the Sweetums scene in the Sandy Duncan episode of The Muppet Show? Such a sweet moment!

"Of course I'm crying, I feel sad! Wouldn't you feel sad if you looked like me?" :cry:

"I feel beautiful!" :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
When I think of Richard Hunt I think of Scooter. I never knew Richard, but feel that there would be a lot of Scooter in his personality as there was much Kermit in Jim's. I will always see Richard's characters as funny, sharp, at times hammy and always a riot. The Muppets have never been the same without him. His characters are much beloved and he is missed!

:wink: :eek: :flirt: