1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Remembering Richard Hunt

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Phillip, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

It's hard to believe, but eleven years ago today the wonderful and talented Richard Hunt passed away. Performer of favorites such as Scooter, Janice, Junior Gorg, Forgetful Jones, and more. Richard had a unique style and characterization that has been sorely missed. Take some time today to remember Richard in your own way today and remember the countless lives he touched. Let us know what you will remember most about Richard.

Our Richard Hunt tributes are here...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/tributes/hunt/index.shtml

Also check our Emmy's Richard Hunt site...

http://rhuntfan.tripod.com/

Jamie also designed a tribute menu which is on the front of the site today.
  2. Luke

Luke Active Member

R.I.P Richard - sorely missed and much needed !

Nice menu Jamie - it's good to see all Richard's characters up there - you've done him proud !
  3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Wocka Wocka WOW!!!

Great menu!! I was SO excited when I saw that!!

Glad to see such a cool thing pop up on my computer. Tributary menus are a wonderful idea.

Great work!!

FOZ
  4. radionate

radionate New Member

Wonderful job in a fantastic tribute to a man that touched all our lives.
  5. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

great job on the menu, a great tribute indeed to a great man..

ryan
  6. Thanks for doin' that menu, Jamie---that's rully a nice gesture.

And I found this thread while listenin' to "Letter B"...*sigh*...what a talented, talented man...
  7. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Great job, Jamie! I just got back to CA from Christmas break. I went to look at the New Year's menu 'cause my parent's computer didn't display it right. And lo and behold--a NEW great menu! You said no new menus till MC's anniversary later this month, but I guess you had a few tricks up your sleeve. :)

For a bonus, you ought to have a pop-up Season 1 Miss Piggy for the Richard Hunt tribute! :D

Such a talented performer -- we all miss him. One can only wonder what the Muppets would be like today if we hadn't lost two of the company's key members at the same time.
  8. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

One of my favorite Muppet preformers, and a very sad loss. It's hard to believe it's been eleven years since his, and thirteen since Jim's. (almost)

Sad. Was too young to remember when they died.

I think the saddest thing I ever saw came out shortly after Richard's death. During the end sequence of the 25th anniversary tape of SS, his and Jim's characters just stood there smiling and nodding while everyone else sang.

Was Cliff's Nightmare Richard's last project, or was it Muppetvision 3D? He's listed in the credits of both.
  9. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

A most fitting tribute Jamie! And look at that young kid Richard...I love that picture! What is great is basically all of his signature characters are back with VMC and other stuff, so it is really good to see his legacy lives on.

Indeed, the early 90's were the darkest chapter in JHC history.
    I think it is a testament to the vision of the company that they survived that awful gutwrenchingly devestating period.

Anyways, very cool menu man! Long live the name of Richard Hunt!
  10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

This menu kind of snuck up on my, I have to admit. Scooter is one of my faves. Janice too. It has been clear that the Muppets weren't right without his characters. Richard made such an impact on the Muppets and the gang wasn't quite right without them. I hope to see more Scooter, Janice and the other fantastic characters.
  11. EmmyMik

EmmyMik New Member

Great menu Jamie!

It's hard to believe that it's been 11 years. People often say that Jim's death had a huge impact on the Muppets. Of course they're right. The man did so many things. But you can't say that Richard's passing had no visible effect on the Muppet. Even more than not seeing the likes of Scooter, Janice, and so on. It's much more than that. The way he interacted with performers and guest stars, if you take that away, there's bound to be a difference. The other week I was watching the Christmas movie. As I was watching the end, where all of the characters were singing together, I realized how weird that sounded. It was almost like one big voice. I miss Richard's glorious voice, shining above the rest. Somehow that makes everything that he's ever done much more special. Thank you Richard!

Your face!
  12. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Actually, it depends on how you look at it. Cliff's Nightmare (originally aired Jan. 11, 1990) was not his last project. MuppetVision 3D was still being worked on when Jim passed away, and Richard (as I recall) didn't even do any puppeteering in that -- he just voiced the animatronic Statler and the "live" Sweetums. However, Scooter also appeared in The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson, at least at one point to read one of the letters to Jim. (Can anyone help me out if I'm wrong here? I hadn't realized till just now how little Richard had to do with those projects.)

Anyway, the point is that MCJH is the last project that Richard worked on, but MV3D was actually released the following summer ('91) due to the technology they had to build into the Disney World theater. So either one could technically be considered Richard's "last" project.
  13. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Richard did tape some segments for Sesame in 1991 so it's likely that was his last performance.
  14. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Oooh. That's what I love about the Internet--you're always learning something new! :) Thanks, Phil. I wonder if anyone has a copy of these segments on tape?
  15. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Isn't Scooter in Muppetvision 3D?
  16. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I sit here. I don't really know what to say. I want to say somthing. What? What is there to say? Nothing you do can bring him back. I just hope that he and Jim went to Heaven, then maybe one day I'll meet them.

All I think I can say is thet his caracters must live on.

Janice, Scooter, Sweetums. Such a diversety of caracters.
  17. jeremyactor

jeremyactor New Member

The only Richard characters in MV3D movie are Beaker, Statler, and Sweetums.

Scooter is in the preshow, but he makes no appearance in the film itself. which is a shame - it would have been fun to have him in there.

Jeremy
  18. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Thanks, man.

This is sort of on a different train of thought, but, I think I know why people didn't like Steve's Kermit. (I like it) It's because, he started doing it almost immediately after his death. We've had to wait ten years until (most of) Richard Hunt's characters came back. It's been so long, we don't care what they sound like, just so long as their back. I bet if they had waited a few years before bringing back Kermit, we would have apreciated him a lot more.

The same goes for Jim's other characters. It's been so long, we don't care! We just want them back.
  19. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Er, not that we don't miss Jim and Richard...

SC:( :( T
  20. Thijs

Thijs Member

When Scooter sings his part in `Saying Goodbey`, I always get sad and think of Richard.

About Scooter, when I saw The Caper for the 50th time or so today, I was afraid that when somebody else will perform Scooter, his voice will be so different, it will be awful to hear it, and everybody will be sorry for not leaving it a legend. Richard`s voice is the most special of all. It`s the hardest voice to imitate.

But I haven`t heard Adam Hunt`s Scooter yet. It`s his brother, so...how does it sound? And will he perform Janice, Sweetums and Statler too?

What was Richard`s wish? To keep his characters alive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.