Remembering Robin Williams (July 21, 1951 - August 11, 2014)

theSHE124

Reaction score
"I'm telling you...try a banana in your shoe and you'll know what a day is!" LOL Good vids, Frackleman! :laugh: I can think of 11 movie things from my childhood Robin Williams did, two of them an old middle school friend of mine loved to recreate! I wonder if he'd heard...

...So upsetting that someone who makes laughs would even do a suicide. :cry: Whata tragic side of comedy...

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Wait, wha, what????? Mrs. Doubtfire is gone??!!?? But.. hubba wha wha... fwa.. ka.. ????? Okay, he died?

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Wait, wha, what????? Mrs. Doubtfire is gone??!!?? But.. hubba wha wha... fwa.. ka.. ????? Okay, he died?
Yes goodbye Mrs. Doubtfire..........she..I'm sorry he will be missed. B.T.W. did anybody ever accidentally refer to Mrs. Doubtfire as female because his perfomance as her was so good, and it was even cross-dressing certainly better than Madea and all those other people that are sooooooo obviously male.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Yes goodbye Mrs. Doubtfire..........she..I'm sorry he will be missed. B.T.W. did anybody ever accidentally refer to Mrs. Doubtfire as female because his perfomance as her was so good, and it was even cross-dressing certainly better than Madea and all those other people that are sooooooo obviously male.
I think so. Well... he will truly be missed by the people here and the families that cherished when he was alive. R.I.P Robin Williams.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Now we know that he had been diagnosed with the early stages of Parkinson's Disease, a degenerative neurological disease that Muhammad Ali and Michael J. Fox also suffer(ed) from. The symptoms include depression and suicidal thoughts.

This makes his death a little easier to understand, I suppose, but not one bit less tragic.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Now we know that he had been diagnosed with the early stages of Parkinson's Disease, a degenerative neurological disease that Muhammad Ali and Michael J. Fox also suffer(ed) from. The symptoms include depression and suicidal thoughts.

This makes his death a little easier to understand, I suppose, but not one bit less tragic.
Well, that's good... At least, he had some other reason, and I bet he couldn't help it. Let's all remember this quote by Robin Williams:

Suicide is a permanent solution to your temporary problems.

Why couldn't he have followed his inner instinct, and realize that everybody would be devastated and that he shouldn't do it?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Addiction and depression have a way of tricking the mind, in making the afflicted feel like they are painted into a corner and there's no way out it. That is false, of course. It can be so hard to see the options when a person reaches a certain point of depression. That is a very lonely place to be and few people understand it unless they've been through it.

There is no magic formula or cure. I keep hearing ignorant people cite suicide as selfish and a choice. That is also false. These tormented people believe that the act will somehow relieve themselves and their loved ones from the pain caused from severe depression. Of course, that's madness too and that's the point. I don't believe a choice is really a choice when it's made under such duress.

It takes reaching out to others and fellowship with people experiencing the same disease to get out of that sort of headspace.

Of all the problems Williams had, there was always his physical humor and lightning fast wit to fall back on. With Parkinson's, he would slowly lose some of that and it must have seemed unbearable.

He lived here in the San Francisco area. I know plenty of people with sweet stories about him. I've yet to hear one unkind word pertaining to him. Just an amazing person with such gratitude. I did spot him once very briefly in a book store near Union Square. This was many years ago. People in the city had a way of letting him be and that's probably why he chose to live here. We will all miss him very much.