Remembering The King

Son of Enik

Reaction score
It was 33 years ago today we lost The Forever King of Rock n Roll, Elvis Presley. As a fan and an impersonator, I know the impact that this man had on not only music but the world. TV Guide named him the most influential entertainer of the 20th century. People of all ages know who he is and everyone knows at least one song he recorded. Disney even featured his tunes in "Lilo & Stitch" (love seeing Stitch in the white jumpsuit).
As I mentioned, I am an impersonator and will be performing all over Massachusetts this week and beyond, and it is my sincere hope that we never forget Elvis and his legacy. Long live the King.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Are you from Memphis? I am. Born and raised. It was my experience that aside from the truly hardcore, the city tended to beat us all over the head with Elvis. Sometimes I had wished he really were alive so we could kill him, LOL.

Barely kidding. I was born in December of '77, so the tourism thing is bascially all I know of him. Don't get me wrong, I dig quite a few of his songs, and could identify Sun Records on the way to college. I just never quite got into him very much. Actually, there are few singers I just fangirl over. I'm more of a science wonk than a music-lover. And it's just weird hearing about how controversial he was when you compare him to the silliness we see today.

Graceland's a nice-looking house, though. I admired the architecture, even as a kid.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I am Boston born (born in 1973) and have been an Elvis fan my whole life. I have visited Graceland a few times and have been an impersonator for 20 years.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Since my teens, i've heard over and over that i should be an Elvis impersonator since i have similar facial features and singing voice (it's actually something i've had to fight against). Finally in 2004, when Grand Canyon Mens' Chorale did a "Class Reunion" concert with music from the 50s-70s, it was pretty much inevitable that i was going to be cast in an Elvis number. But when i did, i took it as seriously as all my roles studying his movies, music and such as i wanted to be as authentic as possible instead of basing my performances off of the cliches or tropes from all the other impersonators. It was when i was doing that that i gained an appreciation of his talent and influence. (Though i'm more a "Roy Orbison" person myself!)

Yorick

Reaction score
I don't know all his work, but ever since I was 11, I've loved "All Shook Up" - cool vocals and energy, and feeling. And I really love his later years where he sang ballads quite beautifully - to me that showed so much emotion and what a great voice he had.