Reporter Writing About Adult Toy (Muppet Toy?) Collectors

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The Christian Science Monitor is looking to interview adults in Europe or North America who collect toys for an upcoming article and I thought that someone here who collects Muppet figures or merchandise might be interested in being interviewed.

Here is what she is writing about:

"While toy sales are generally flat, sales of all kinds of adult-oriented play stuff such as Hollywood action figures are doing well. Why is this? What does this tell us about ourselves? Are "boomers" in a delayed childhood? I would like to talk to adults who still "play with dolls" as well as experts who have given some thought as to the meaning of it all."

The reporter's name is Gloria Goodale and her email is gcgoodale@aol.com. If you are interested in being interviewed you must contact her before 5 p.m. Pacific Time Friday (September 12).

Not to sound like a jerk, but please remember that this is a reporter for a major publication who is seeking help with a story. If you are interested be professional and be sure to contact her before her deadline (don't send emails asking if it's "too late" next week) and don't waste her time.

I hope this is useful to someone; if you do get interviewed be sure to post about it here in the forum!

Redsonga

Reaction score
Hmmm..I wish it was put a little differently, like 'Toy collectors of adult age' or something...Even though I am an 'adult' it sounds like she is looking for toy collectors much older than me, because I am nowhere near a baby boomer (who are 44 or older now) :stick_out_tongue:.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was gonna say "adult" made it sounded like something else. :big_grin: Adult collectors are generally considered those above the teen years (20+).

However, I don't agree with the pitch of this article. It makes the assumption that such collecting is a mark of arrested development when I find the opposite to be true. Those who protest admiration of the replica and collectibles market are usually people feigning a level of societal maturity rather than exhibit the stability of being at peace with one's self. That's my experience, others may differ.

I have seen "mature" people pour hard earned money into gambling, alcohol, shoes, clothing, furniture and other vices in order to feel better about themselves or impress other people. I believe that to be unhealthy and odd - not owning a near perfectly sculpted Sweetums or Gonzo (if I do say so myself).

It appears as if the writers of the article are searching for information to support an opinion rather than actually understanding and reporting on the interesting lives of such collectors. This has potential if framed differently, but I don't like to feed such presumption.

Just one frogboy's opinion. :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Hmmm..I wish it was put a little differently, like 'Toy collectors of adult age' or something...Even though I am an 'adult' it sounds like she is looking for toy collectors much older than me, because I am nowhere near a baby boomer (who are 44 or older now) :stick_out_tongue:.
Right. She wants--and I am being stereotypical, so be forwarned--those guys that collect Star Wars/Star Trek stuff for a living and who live near their parents or still with their parents at age 40+.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Right. She wants--and I am being stereotypical, so be forwarned--those guys that collect Star Wars/Star Trek stuff for a living and who live near their parents or still with their parents at age 40+.
Not twenty-something girls that collect My Little Pony/Care Bears/CPKs etc because it brings them a sort of happy inner peace after growing up very poor. I may play and make photocomics with my ponies, but it's not exactly a 2nd childhood..it's just a part of me :smile:...

Those who protest admiration of the replica and collectibles market are usually people feigning a level of societal maturity rather than exhibit the stability of being at peace with one's self. That's my experience, others may differ.
I'm at peace with myself :smile:. In fact, toys bring me much inner peace...The tone seems to act like it is a mid-life crisis or something :confused: I've been collecting my whole life...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
In fact, toys bring me much inner peace...
That's good. If it makes you happy and doesn't bring harm to yourself or others, keep enjoying it, I say.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Not twenty-something girls that collect My Little Pony/Care Bears/CPKs etc because it brings them a sort of happy inner peace after growing up very poor. I may play and make photocomics with my ponies, but it's not exactly a 2nd childhood..it's just a part of me :smile:...

I'm at peace with myself :smile:. In fact, toys bring me much inner peace...The tone seems to act like it is a mid-life crisis or something :confused: I've been collecting my whole life...
Agreed. I just like what I like. If it happens to be popular that's great; if it isn't, that's fine too. My personal (somewhat mid-life) crisis happened when I stopped caring about such things I once loved. I even left Muppet Central for a couple years. I'm glad that's over.

Years ago I had the opportunity to share a room in a townhouse with two other people and one of them was deathly afraid of what others would think of him with my Muppets and things tastefully displayed in common areas. Needless to say that was a deal breaker for me. It wasn’t so much about my stuff as it was his paranoia and self image. I knew that attitude would likely leak into other irritating areas. I have had the same apartment now for over a decade and I am now renovating it and making choices of what stays and what goes. Many of my collectibles will be stored away in order to unclutter my space, but there will still be a lot of stuff displayed. My busts, posers, figures and animation cels are more than enough to keep me company.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Not necesarally, she sounds open to possibilities. If she finds more people respond who don't live with their parents and collect Star Trek figures, she'll have to readjust her thesis. Or if she finds it's not the Boomers buying these toys, but the 20-somethings, again, she'll have to adjust her slant.

I'd say, go ahead and respond if you want to.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
I responded to the writer, although I did not go into great detail about what I collect, I told her that I am a teddy bear collector as well as maker, I'm married and 37. I have over 1000 teddy bears here, and have collected them since I was 16-years-old. I don't think that there is anything offensive about people asking questions about these kinds of things, in fact, here in Germany there is a magazine that is looking for people to send photos of their collections to do an article about.

I mean; yeah, some people use their money to go gambling and some people shell out money for old and new toys. My husband is a PhD and he collects chemistry and electronic sets.

I am going to give this person the benefit of the doubt. If she responds to me in a professional manner, then I will act accordingly, but I will not assume that she is out to make me look like a fool. In my opinion, the only way that she will be able to make me look like a fool, would be for me to act like one, and I'm not going to do that.

Of course, if cuddling with a teddy bear is weird, then I'll admit to being weird. :insatiable:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I never said I thought she was being offensive, I just think that she might have a limited view about who collects toys. I mean, it's one thing to just ask about toy collections, that's normal for magazines/newpapers, but to limit things to thinking older people with mid-life crisis are the majority of toy collectors really shows she has no idea what toy collecting is about IMHO...It's not offensive, just sort of sad that that is what a lot of people think :frown: