1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppet Guys Talking" Debuts On-line
    Watch the inspiring documentary "Muppet Guys Talking", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppet release of the year.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jvcarroll, Apr 13, 2018.

1. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Ok, people. We KNOW it's gonna happen, and I'm a glutton for punishment, so let's see if we can actually do it this time.

There's only 4 rules here
    :
    1. Respect each other, no matter how outrageous certain ideas may be to us.

2. Refrain from personalizing comments or taking the views of others personally.

3. Republican, Conservative, GOP, Democrat, Liberal and Progressive are merely descriptions; they are not dirty words and should not be used as such.

4. Ignore and Report members that break these rules. Try not to engage with them. If you do, please graciously refer to the rules here.

I realize that I've sometimes not honored those four notions in the past, a lot of times, to be honest, but I'm committing to do that now. Politics is important. It is us. We should be able to talk about ideas. Those who can't, getouttahere!

All swim...

2. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

Well I probably shouldn't even post this here since I have absolutely nothing respectful to say about either Trump's Michigan rally, nor Michelle Wolf's "comedy" routine at the White House Correspondents dinner. Just how tone deaf and mean spirited is this country going to get?

3. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

BOI. WHY.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  4. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

Agreed. I watched wolf's bit and thought it was funny for the most part. It would have been great as a roast on HBO but was too raunchy for a white house correspondents dinner. And there is a fine line between political satire and just outright bullying and I felt she crossed it more than a few times

CensoredAlso likes this.
  5. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

And I agree about her joke about abortion. "If you haven't tried it then don't knock it?" How does the murdering of innocent children become funny?

6. CensoredAlso

I want to be clear, anything can be funny. South Park has made abortion jokes quite successfully. Michelle Wolf is no South Park, lol.

And you know, if the right is guilty of normalizing racism, the left is guilty of normalizing something just as ugly.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  7. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

I mean, to me.

There's a difference between black comedy humor and just straight up trying to be offensive in a bad way (the black comedy thing in the case of shows like South Park or Family Guy).

MuppetsRule and CensoredAlso like this.
  8. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

A lot of people haven't tried murder, rape, slavery, genocide, torture, child abuse, etc. either.
    Should we take them out for a trial run?

9. jvcarroll

I LOOOOOOOVED Wolf's roast. Maybe I see things in a different perspective, but I feel she roasted everybody. The liars. the republicans, the democrats, the press, Fox News (that isn't really the press), The Pro Lifers, the Pro Choicers (I wasn't keen on all of her jabs, but listen carefully and she did a bit), and the bumbling megalomaniac that is our president. I thought it was a fair assessment. Those in politics and media who couldn't take the joke just seem weak to me. There's no crying in politics! What struck me the most was the how she criticized the works of Conway and Huck-Sanders instead of their looks. And, of course, held them accountable for their daily lies - and called them LIES, unlike our milquetoast media that's still working off an extinct style guide. This isn't the roast that America wanted but it IS the roast that America needed = a wake up call for ALL of us!!! As far as what is and is not called for or proper at this dinner, I don't believe that anyone who voted for foul-mouthed Trump has room to talk. Not at all. Not mad at y'all. Just putting things in perspective. The fish smells from the head. This is where we are. I hope that NOW we go to a better place than the gutter. No matter what your politics, we are living in a gutter Presidency. We need to be better. The first step to that is admitting where we are and that's what this roast did. And it was a roast. That's what roasts are.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  10. CensoredAlso

Ehhhhh, she said Sanders was finally ready for prom and then made fun of her makeup. As a woman, I found it catty and disgusting.

This wasn’t a roast. It was an attack at the enemy. No better than Trump. And I’m done with both. Both parties can do without my vote and all the news networks can do without my ratings. That is the only wake up call I had. I’m at least glad that so many Americans seem to agree on this one. The media, the politicians, they’re all far too extreme and angry to serve us at this point. The country is still good. Our leaders and our media are not. And yes, on both sides.

And why didn’t they bring in someone from SNL???? Their Trump satire has been brilliant, and not so tacky and cruel. Two of them are going to be hosting the next Emmys. How did the Emmys end up having more sense than the White House Correspondents Dinner??? Lol!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  11. jvcarroll

She made fun of her smoky eye but it was attached to her job, not her looks, and she didn't disparage them. So, that counts. It would have been an attack against the enemy if she'd only attacked republicans, but she attacked all. I guess we all see things through our own prisms. You see things through a conservative, yet not republican, prism. I see things through a weary progressive prism, with former conservative ties. I loved this roast. It was awesome. It put everyone in their place and the only real attack was on lies, weakness and Trump. Trump deserves it and I loved how she skewered him on a point a few people do. That guy's not a successful businessman. He's a charlatan in everything he does. That, not Russia, China, or cheating, is the most likely reason that he won't release his taxes. He's not as rich as he pretends to be and the blow to his pride is worse than the present criticism. I don't see this as "no better than" Trump. I see it as a reaction to him in the exact appropriate place to make it. Furthering it would be a mistake. But all that was said needed to be said IMHO. The stuff about the weak tea of liberals, the hypocrisy of the media, the heartlessness of republicans toward the poor - all of it. I'm glad someone finally had the guts to say all of that and in that way. But, again, now that it's been said we must put in the work to make things better. That's ALL of us. Trump will be no help. We, however, can. It will take all of us.

12. CensoredAlso

Dude, your nitpicking is completely unconvincing. It was about her looks.

And dude, this is the same problem we always have. Because I don’t worship the most extreme left position possible, you think I see things from a conservative perspective. All this time and you still know nothing about me, lol. I appreciate your support about the boyfriend thing the other day, but clearly there are things we will never come together on. And that’s fine, the country needs to get back to the point where that isn’t such a crime.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  13. jvcarroll

The majority of what she said wasn't about their looks, but I guess there is some. Still, not in the usual context of taking down the looks of women. She never said she looked bad. Also, I don't worship the most extreme left position either. That's unfair. I don't understand why you're personalizing this. I wasn't. I'm not always going to agree with you no matter what. You're not always going to convince me of squat, but that's not the point of conversing. It's not required for either of us to change - just to learn more about the other's point of view. We've just simply reached a point where we disagree and can move on. The way you've written it sounds as if you're troubled by that and that troubles me. Are you okay? Or am I reading that wrong? :o

14. CensoredAlso

Of course she was saying she looked bad, are you kidding me?

Yes, please learn my point of view and stop putting me in the conservative box. And dude, I literally just said it was fine that we can disagree. Are YOU ok with it?

MuppetsRule likes this.
  15. jvcarroll

Also, one point that I think was missed was in that tasteless joke about abortion, there's a point where it goes truly grotesque in a way that I didn't like, but she referred to the fetus as a baby. That's what Pro Lifer's should be tweeting about. Rewind the tape. She totally does! And this is coming from a Pro Choice guy. I found that a remarkable moment in the roast.

16. CensoredAlso

Well she wasn’t wrong.

17. jvcarroll

Are you sure you're not conservative? I know you're not republican. Those are two different things. Is it the fact that you disavow descriptive labels when it comes to politics? Or are you more libertarian? Or is it that you consider your view to be independent (not independent party, but independent) with some shared views with conservatives, but not their methods? I think it's that last one, kinda.

18. CensoredAlso

......Wow, lol.

jvcarroll likes this.
  19. jvcarroll

Aren't you pleased, at least, that someone noticed that. I haven't heard a peep on social media about it, but it's plain as day and could be used to great impact. Instead, people are parsing other parts of the roast that we all knew would be said. Typical lazy media.

20. jvcarroll

I'm seriously trying. I hope it wasn't offensive. but I think that last one is close to it, right? Or should I just salt my foot? :eek: