Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well, score one against collective bargaining and the blue collar workforce this morning. Elections have consequences. This one was the stolen SCOTUS seat that Gorsuch assumed that will help widen the gap between rich and poor even more. I know a lot of people don't understand today's decision or what it will mean, but see how wages look in another decade. Without union protections, even many non union protections we have now wouldn't exist. This can be righted, but it could take generations.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
We should always do our best to rise above this despicable behavior. That said, the audacity in republicans calling out for civility from democrats reveals a hypocrisy and lack of self awareness that is positively Trumpian. Not only is the lack of civility okay for republicans when Trump does it, many voted him in BECAUSE of it. NOTHING progressives are doing is worse than this trackrecord, but dems are falling into a few traps here and there. We MUST be the party of better.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think things need to be viewed in their proper timeline. It's not that conservatives love Trump's incivility out of nowhere. Conservatives came to view liberals as lacking in civility and also punishing people too harshly for their speech. Trump is an extreme backlash to that.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I keep reading lame excuses on the Facebook from naysayers and nihilists who've given up on everyone and everything but themselves (and maybe their partisanship). It's sad, really. The lack of civility is great. This great fire was started by conservative leaning white people who felt that latent racist remarks should go unchecked, because, you know, free speech. But that's not how free speech works. If you say something bigoted or short sighted, you SHOULD be called on it. The great failure of progressives is in immediate vilification over compassionate information. THAT'S WRONG and helps NOTHING!

We all have different life experiences. Those in middle America do not know what it's like to live in a border state or melting pot cities that are as melty as the coasts any more than we know what it's like to live in the closeknit communities of the landlocked heartland. Shouting is not going to get it done. THE TRUTH IS that over 90% of America is kind. Self interested (we are the selfie culture) but mostly kind. It's ignorance that breeds anger. The ignorance of heartland people toward coastal people and the ignorance of coastal people by heartland people.

We used to not be this divided until the Clinton presidency when his shady dealings overshadowed his party and when Newt Gingrich tried to ramrod his agenda down America's throat without any willingness to compromise. The craven nature of Blue v Red was born there. We need to get back to a time before that. A time when differences weren't racism, cruelty or namecalling. The differences were ideology based and we had great debates. No "reclaiming my time" or "Little Marco" type jabs.

We can all say that the President started the current level of nastiness and is perpetuating it, but that's not enough. We all, regardless of party, need to be an example for him of how to act. We need to operate independently of his antics. Make his shtick irrelevant and let's get some compromise going!!!!

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, not only is this downright disturbing and creepy, but it's just plain uncool too:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=258351288250439&set=pcb.258351608250407&type=3&theater

(Of course, you have to keep hitting the > icon to keep reading)

I mean . . . I can't even think of words to describe just how downright idiotic and stupid this guy was for thinking this was going to endear himself to some girl he suddenly had a boner for . . . and even less words for the father for basically letting him off the hook and telling him he did nothing wrong and girls who can't accept "flattering" aren't worth it.

My head hurts just trying to wrap it around this.