Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I just don't consider Wolf's routine to have been a roast. A roast is all in good fun among peers. This was the media/liberals vs Trump. And yes, obviously Trump is the one who didn't show up, and the one who feeds on division. No duh, lol. But the media and Democrats in general have not even tried to rise above the fray. And a lot of their policies and general attitude are the reason we have Trump in the first place. So yeah, I guess I just don't at all consider them our heroes who are going to save us. They are part of the same problem.
I take your point. It was a roast in the tradition of what this roast is, however. Precedent has already been set that these are usually rather brutal. Also, the President is usually permitted a rebuttal and/or roast of his own. Trump was too chicken. That's what makes this one particularly brutal - being roasted in absentia is kind of tasteless, but that was the President's choice.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
And this isn't really about republicans vs democrats. This was the one dinner where everybody gets roasted and they usually pick someone very critical of the administration to roast. Imus was pretty tough and tasteless on Clinton back in the day. I get what's been said about partisanship, but this is one instance where I don't buy into that. This is the one time of year when the gloves are off. And this dinner is also a charity. People forget that. The roast is the big attraction. Also - Wolf isn't the media. She's a comedian. She did her job. The only case I see is that maybe, in some people's eyes, they should have hired someone else.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This is the one time of year when the gloves are off.
Not really, I hear all of these complaints about Trump every night on MSNBC and CNN, lol. Even the idea that he's not really rich, I can remember the exact CNN panel that discussed this.

Also - Wolf isn't the media. She's a comedian. She did her job. The only case I see is that maybe, in some people's eyes, they should have hired someone else.
Why not someone from SNL? They've been brilliant with the Trump satire. I'm tired of shock comedians.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Not really, I hear all of these complaints about Trump every night on MSNBC and CNN, lol. Even the idea that he's not really rich, I can remember the exact CNN panel that discussed this.

Why not someone from SNL? They've been brilliant with the Trump satire. I'm tired of shock comedians.
I feel that the news parses words too much and allows Sanders and Conway to run roughshot over them way too much. They should call every lie a lie right to their faces when they lie, but they get all cagey instead. The world has changed. The media is now playing by rules that no one in politics uses anymore. That renders their interviews meaningless. Little legit information comes out of them because of it. If they'd simply cut off the microphone of Conway after she continually lies or changes the subject instead of answering their questions, only then will I believe that the television/cable media is doing their job. Print media is a different animal altogether, but nobody reads anymore. I do, but I must admit that finding time these days is challenging when juggling three jobs.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I have to admit to being particularly sore about Sarah Huckabee Sanders because her and her father have made their political bones through their terrible LGBTQ prejudice. They've spent so much time moralizing how other people should live all the while lying to the American public and supporting one of the worst people in America, not just worst Presidents - worst people, who are somehow exempt from having any morality. It's not just about a difference of personal opinion with them. They've spent their public lives trying to prevent basic freedoms for me and my community - people who I find highly moral and much more so than anyone with the name Huckabee attached to it. Unless someone truly goes after them unfairly, I do not care about a roast or takedown of either of them. I don't think Wolf was over the line with Huck-Sanders. She's dreadful. If anything, I think she went easy on her. I'd have roasted the heck out of her. I don't know how funny it would have been, but it would have been honest. That's the greatest thing missing in our country today honesty.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I feel that the news parses words too much and allows Sanders and Conway to run roughshot over them way too much. They should call every lie a lie right to their faces when they lie, but they get all cagey instead.
Huh, I think they'd just call that being professional. And they don't need to outright say "You're lying," for it be obvious that's what they're trying to show.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Huh, I think they'd just call that being professional. And they don't need to outright say "You're lying," for it be obvious that's what they're trying to show.
At this point, I really think they do need to do that. In fact, I find it imperative. We can no longer count on intelligence of viewership. Many print sources have done just that - changed their style guides to include the word lie instead of untruth.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
At this point, I really think they do need to do that. In fact, I find it imperative. We can no longer count on intelligence of viewership. Many print sources have done just that - changed their style guides to include the word lie instead of untruth.
They can't turn off Conway's mic, that would be borderline censorship. People used to bash Fox for turning off mics.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
They can't turn off Conway's mic, that would be borderline censorship. People used to bash Fox for turning off mics.
Yep, they could if she didn't answer the questions they asked. This is not government sponsored television. This is the free press. Most of the public (not necessarily you) doesn't understand the meaning of censorship or the first amendment. Anyone invited onto the airwaves is a guest and the host asks the questions. That's agreed ahead of time and if a Conway or Huckabee Sanders chooses to renege on their agreement once on air, they've made their choice. Freedom never means freedom from consequences. I was always fine with Fox turning off mics. They have the same right to do so if guests are belligerent, interrupt or refuse to answer direct questions. I just wasn't cool with anyone of note going on there. It's not a real news network.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yep, they could if she didn't answer the questions they asked. This is not government sponsored television. This is the free press. Most of the public (not necessarily you) doesn't understand the meaning of censorship or the first amendment. Anyone invited onto the airwaves is a guest and the host asks the questions. That's agreed ahead of time and if a Conway or Huckabee Sanders chooses to renege on their agreement once on air, they've made their choice. Freedom never means freedom from consequences. I was always fine with Fox turning off mics. They have the same right to do so if guests are belligerent, interrupt or refuse to answer direct questions. I just wasn't cool with anyone of note going on there. It's not a real news network.
OK, let me back up, I mostly agree with you here, Conway is this generation's Tokyo Rose and I really wish she would just go away. It's just that I've seen the reaction of Trump supporters when they think their team is under attack. It's all very tribal right now. They won't see the truth being defended, they'll see their team getting bashed. It's that mentality that we need to work on.